Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I retired this past July and plan to do more fishing and travel more widely in doing so. My nine year-old sedan does not fit in this picture. I would like to know from you'all what you drive(if you care to mention it), but more important to me, what your dream vehicle for your fishing needs might be. My minimal criteria: four wheel drive, enough room, don't plan to tow a boat(my Mokai---www.mokai.com---will be carried on the roof; my WaterMaster can go in the trunk), reasonably attractive, price is not a big issue. Well guys, have at it please!

·
Registered
465 Posts
an old pickup or Subaru with a ski rack fills the bill nicely -preferably rusted through in one or more body panels. Who wants a car that you need to wash?

·
Registered
2 Posts
dream vehicle

In no paticular order my dream 4x4:
-good power to easily climb grades and pass;
-seat heaters (nice indulgence);
-head room enough to allow hanging rods overhead without banging head;
-rear hatch that raises overhead to allow easy dressing out of the rain;
-wide roof rack to easily load a 2 man cataraft;
-back seats easily fold up or removed, long enough bed to layout and sleep;
-american made for easy repair and parts;
-GPS
-lots of front storage pockets
-deep cup holders wide enough for 44oz., with cut side for mug handle;
-electric side mirror adjustors; big mirrors.
Just bought a suburban that fits the bill. It's a gas hog, but has a big tank and I mostly travel with a partner to split gas, so for long highway trips, its hard to beat.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Well,

I used to have an old John Geirach line posted as my signature line.

"How is it a guy who dresses in rags and drives a smokey old pick-up can afford such snazzy tackle?" It should be obvious!

The line definitely fits me. But the truck is a champ! It gets me wherever I want to go, and often through places most other vehicles either avoid or get stuck in. The ultimate was last winter when two other buddies with brand new rigs parked em and sat on my tailgate to get to a duck pond that was in a sloppy spot.

It's a 1984 Toyota 4WD pickup (solid front axle) lifted 6" and rigged with super swampers. It's a bit ironic, cuz I'm 6'3" and 265#'s, and it is likely comical to watch me get into and out of this little rig. But hell, it goes where nothing else will. :smokin:

·
Registered
427 Posts
In no paticular order my dream 4x4:
Toyota Landcruiser hands down

if you get the FZJ80 93-97 4.5 l inline 6 - extremely reliable with standard maintenance 250-300K miles is some what expected.

optional front and rear locking (standard center locking) - next to impossable to get stuck.

Standard water crossing depth 30"- Able to wade if required to get home

tail gate and rear hatch - cover when removing your gear

about as heavy as you can get (safe)

room four up to 7 with jump seats- (not much room for gear)

Negs. sucks gas, not too much power

if you don't require the extreme capabilities the 100's 98- present are also awesome all the while more comfortable. I'm considering getting a newer one just because the highway driving pretty close to 30K last year and I drive quick (ask Sparkster or Juro). The only thing I would really like is the turbo diesel get about 25mpg and runs 500-600k (never imported to US).

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Toyota, any toyota.Just say no to heeps.

Used to have an FJ60 Landcruiser that was stolen. Will be replacing with a Tundra that I plan on having for many years.

-sean

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
My Dodge Dakota fits me just perfectly. I'm not a very big dude, allthough toyotas will go further and stronger than anything else on the market - even I feel a little cramped in the cab of the Tacoma or SR-5's. Great rigs though. My Dakota is just the right size, not too small, but not full size. Plenty of room in the extended cab for gear. very comfortable. The only vehicle I have driven cross country (many many times) and never get a cramp in my rear end. I'm known for doing the 25-30 hour sprints with only gas stops. As soon as I get a topper for it - I will have dry, comfortable sleeping - and the pontoon will fit on top no problem. A bit of a gas pig with a 5.2 Ltr, but that Dodge 318 is tried and true! Its a 97 with 150k on it. I got it at the end of 2001 with 40K on it. I am confident that she easily has another 140K in her.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Moose
We both have about the same rig (my a 98) and where about the same size scary isn't it!

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Why

Having lived in Souhtern Ca. for morre years than I care to talk about, SUV's never made much sense to me. Performance, handling, & gas milage ranked higher on my list of priorities.

When I moved to Southern Oregon, the L.A. hot rod came with me. A '96 Mitsubishhi Eclipse AWD turbo, 5 speed manual trans, HUGH disc brakes, four wheel ABS. It was loaded, and it was a nice car. But it was out of it's element up here. It couldn't get back into some of the places I wanted to go. Those nice sticky road tires were inadequate for back roads,,,or boat ramps. It had a do-nut spare. Which means if you have a flat (read ruin the tire before you get stopped) you are grounded until you locate a replacement tire!

I had driven hi performance cars too long to just give up everything. There were a few features I insisted the replacement vehicle have. Foremost was four wheel disc brakes,,,,with ABS on all four wheels! A full size spare tire. Four wheel drive, of course. Power adjust mirrors. It also had to be high enough to see over a drift boat, have enough power to pull it, and have adequate ground clearance. Leather, because I happen to like leather,,,,and,,,,,you can sit on it while wearing wet waders.

After doing some research & number crunching on the internet, what I came up with was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would have prefered a Toyota Sequoia, Highlander or 4 runner, but they were too pricey. Yeah, gas milage on the Jeep sucks. But I don't have to rack up as many miles since I've retired. Roof racks it has, but cross bars not. None the less, I can strap two fully assembled Spey rods to each side and go tooling down the interstate. :whoa: Nine foot rods, float tube, all the other necessary parafanailia, will fit inside. A Ferarri it ain't, but it'll do. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I've never been sure whether my 1987 Nissan Stanza is a mini-station wagon or mini-van (sliding rear doors). Whichever, it's an economical 4-cylinder that is just the right height for easy in/out, has huge capacity for its size (the squarest lines this side of a UPS truck), and wonderful 360-degree visability. No place for roof racks, but I can and do carry spey rods in the open roof window. I could wish for fewer dents, but its appearance makes it the last car at the trailhead that'll get broken into, much less stolen. :eek: Its cost amortizes to around $9.95/month.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Toyota Tundra 4x v8... 140,000 and going for 300,000. Every day I greet it with the same regard as I would a horse that won't quit or quibble. Takes care of me as a solid work vehicle or as a comfortable ride on long drives for fishing trips. Takes soft deep sand on the beach or the freeway with equal authority. Maintenance? It's so easy I forgot how bad my other cars were. When she has had enough of me I will buy another.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Whats-it wagon

Nooksack Mac said:
I've never been sure whether my 1987 Nissan Stanza is a mini-station wagon or mini-van (sliding rear doors). .

We always call those the "whats-it wagon" because as you stated, no one is really sure what it is! :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
GM Convert?

I drove Toyota 4runners for 14 years, and never had any complaints. Plenty of room, low cost maintenance, reliable 4 wheel drive systems, etc... but when it came to replacement this past summer, I was in price shock!!!

I needed more room due to an ever-expanding family, so the 4runner wasn't going to cut it. I looked to the sequoia (the canadian version of the land cruiser). At close to 70K CDN for a new one, I looked at a used model. Toyota's hold their value, so there was no deal to be had there either.

I settled on a Chevy Suburban (executive driven). I got a great dealIf you want space and comfort, this is a great ride. Don't be fussed about fuel economy, it gets 15.1 miles to gallon vs 19.8 for my last 4runner. Consider the vehicle size and the fact that my last 4runner had a 4 cyl engine vs the 8 in the suburban, I was ready to expect much worse! For me, it was about plenty of room for all my toys, but mainly all of the children's "baby crap".

Good luck with your search.

Chris

PS: For all you ******** out there, there's a big sticker on the end panel of the door shaped like the state of Texas. It says "made in Texas BY TEXANS"

·
Registered
941 Posts
VW camper . . . I've had 3 since 1975. All were great campers, my current one purchased new in 1998 is also a superb, comfortable road vehicle with a VR6 engine (put it on cruise at 85 mph in Montana and it doesn't bat an eye) — it's also very stable in crosswinds, unlike the early vans. I only wish it were available in all wheel drive (my 86 was). Road mpg is 18 to 20 depending on speed. Has propane stove, refrig (and furnace). Sleeps 4 (tightly). Can put a fully rigged 14' rod inside. Has all the conveniences you'd want for extended trips, but otherwise just an everyday van. Rear seat can come out and it becomes a delivery vehicle (I took a mattress and box springs [twin size] to my daughter in Brooklyn. Currently out of production, rumoured to be back in 2006. Many trips including to the left coast 6 times, Atlantic provinces 12 times.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
My current rig is a 2000 Chev. S-10 crewcab with a canopy. Plenty of room, gets 18MPG on the highway and has 4wheel drive to get me all the places I want to go.

My dream vehicle is a 1ton duelly crewcab, 4WD, diesel with a camper.

Rich

·
Registered
133 Posts
Still GM

I'm on my 3rd GM Olds Cutlass Ciera Wagon. Previous 2 went 250,000 each without major repairs, my current '93 has 195,000 on it with no major repairs, but I start looking for a new one when they reach 200,000. I'm looking for a '96 Buick Wagon, which is the last year GM made the wagon. With a 3.3 V6, I still get 20 mpg around town, 30 mpg on the road, can tow a small boat, the rear seats fold down (unlike my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan that requires me to remove the seats to haul stuff). I can haul anything, including sofa's and 8' 2x4s, can sleep in it -6'+, good roof rack for my pontoon boat or canoe, same cheap spare parts for all three cars, 18 years worth. Snow tires in winter means no major snow problems, but don't have the clearance to go down poor roads. The cars don't cost much (relative to the new ones), and each one was like new when I got them and still look new when I get a new one. Besides, both my brother and sister have Jeep Cherokees for me to borrrow if I need one.
My choice if I could buy a new one, a Toyota king cab pickup.
Don

1 - 20 of 45 Posts