Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making some loops on the end of my rio sink tips by doubling the line over on itself and then wrapping it with kevlar thread. I need a thin, waterproof, and flexible adhesive to coat the thread wraps with. Any suggestions? I've used Pliobond in the past, but it gets gummy real quick so it's hard to get an even coat with it. Would Dave's Flexament thinned down work? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
465 Posts
Use aquaseal. Thin it with toulene if needed to get a thinner application. I've heard Dave's fleximent is nothing more than thinned-down aquaseal. I've used it, but have had much better results using aquaseal.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Aqua Flex is what I use and I use 8/0 tying thread (Hot Orange) it works!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Ever since Brian turned me on to Aquaflex for coating thread wraps on line loops last fall, I've been using it instead of thinned Aquaseal. It dries faster and doesn't need toluene to thin it because it is a polyurethane, which thins with water until it hardens.

Flexible super glue (Flex-A-Gap, or some new stuff called Insta-Flex I just picked up locally at a model airplane store in Burlington, WA) works very well, if you can find it. I use it if I have it on hand because it sets up so fast and the line can be used within 5 minutes with no danger of the loop failing or the coating coming off and it stays flexible like Aquaseal or Aquaflex. However, the flexible cyanocrylic is not that easy to find and it will bond your fingers to the loop if you are not careful like any other cyanocrylic glue.

Pescaphile,

Dave's Flexament is actually Goop thinned with toluene. I took a 6 hour tying class from Dave Whitlock back in the summer of 1981 in Great Falls, MT and saw him using some homemade flexible cement he had with him to hold each bunch of deer hair in place when he was spinning a deer hair bass bug and the head on his Whitlock Sculpin. At lunch break, I asked him what he was using because I liked the way it stretched and held on to the deer hair. Whitlock told me it was Sportsman's Goop thinned with toluene and that Wapsi was going to be marking it within a few months of then and they were going to call it "Dave's Flexament" since he (Whitlock) came up with it.

I've been using the stuff and making it myself ever since that day in the summer of 1981 when Whitlock told me what he was using. It has a tenacious hold on materials, but is not very good as a head coating because it doesn't get hard enough and is cut pretty easily by rocks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Brain,

I like the hot orange 8/0 idea. How large an area do you wrap? 1", 1/2", 1/4"?

Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Tm

We have to get Brian Simonseth to put up some directions for his braided loop connections. They are so much better than doubling the line over itself. I consider them better than the latest RIO factory loops. They are fairly quick to make, with the right tools.

GP - there are two, at the base of the loop, and another at the end of the braid. They are about 1/8" each. The strength of the attachment is from the braid squeezing itself and the line. The thread keeps it all in place, along with the Aquaflex.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
knotsense.....

·
Registered
465 Posts
How is the aquaflex for durability? What are its advantages over aquaseal? I've used the latter for years and it works very well but I'm interested in this new coating.

Thanks for the clarification on the flexament FT. That explains why I have had better results with thinned aquaseal.

One of these days, I'll post photos on how I splice loops. I think you guys will like 'em.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Durability hasn't been the problem with Aqua Flex

Aqua Flex is thinner than most and will run into the braided mono better (.04).
Drying time is about 10 minutes

The others that I used have peelled back after a few fishing trips

·
Registered
465 Posts
10 minutes drying time sounds like a big improvement over aquaseal! Any problems with multiple coatings?

I think I'll try this on my next set of loops.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all who replied. I just ordered some Aquaflex from River Run Anglers. I have two more questions. First, is it necessary to use kevlar thread when wrapping the doubled over sink tip, or can I use some regular tying thread that is thinner? Second, with the sink tips being smaller in diameter and having a harder coating than a regular fly line, will a loop even hold when doubled over and wrapped? It seems to me that when I did loops in my fly lines, the thread would bite into the softer fly line and help to hold the doubled over end together. I'm thinking that if I try this with the sink tips that they may slide apart and the loop will come out. Any advice? Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
465 Posts
Trout,
You can use regualr thread just fine for making the loops you describe. Make sure to cut the tip at a shallow angle so you'll get a larger area for the glue to adhere to. The thread will bite into the sink tips also. It will help a little if you do it in a warm room. Use plenty of tension on the thread to get a good bite. This is were the kevlar thread helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pescaphile,

How far do you recommend overlapping the thread on the folded loop? I cut the tip at an angle and used a tiny bit of superglue to attach it to itself to form the loop. How far do you start wrapping before the point where the line meets itself and how far do you wrap past that point? I want to leave a loop about the size that a pen would fit into it so that it is not too big and bulky.
Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have always made my loops just like the picture provided by Brian but i have used nail knots with 10 lb. maxima insted of the 8/0 thread. I really like the thread and will give it a try. Thanks for posting the pic. Is that the Corltand 50 lb. braided mono?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
465 Posts
trout,
My thread wrappings are about an inch long with about 1/8" being on the single section of fly line (the end of the splice away from the loop). These are on tips made from #7 hooting heads.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts