Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my family knows how much I enjoy standing in a river all day and they know what brings me true pleasure.
The heart felt gifts are the ones that incorporate my passion of all things steelhead and salmon :)

This year they knew I was on a bit of a "hat" kick.
My three kids pitched in and presented me with a John Cahill Vintage Tweed Flat Cap, salt & pepper Herringbone :D
My wife being the concerning type, got me a new winter fishing hat. Tweed and fur, the one with the fur ear flaps and brim :D

What did Santa bring you ?? Anything fishing or "Spey" related ??
It's difficult for our family members to understand what we "want" in this game we play.

Mike

·
Too far away
124 Posts
So my family knows how much I enjoy standing in a river all day and they know what brings me true pleasure.
The heart felt gifts are the ones that incorporate my passion of all things steelhead and salmon :)

My three kids pitched in and presented me with a John Cahill Vintage Tweed Flat Cap, salt & pepper Herringbone :D
My wife being the concerning type, got me a new winter fishing hat. Tweed and fur, the one with the fur ear flaps and brim :D

It's difficult for our family members to understand what we "want" in this game we play.

Mike
Nice ! - sports cap from your kids and “healthy” hat from your wife !

But absolutely what you already said.
In general it’s very difficult for the relatives, to get the right gift for the well equipped, picky and selective Spey Fisherman.
My wife gave up very long ago after some “not that lucky equipment decisions”. In the end for decades it was also mostly “healthy” fishing clothing, also small things here and there and several times the fishing license for new club waters. Of course also very enjoyable.

But this year was different.
My clever wife was watching me this year, studying a fishing relevant website with her iPad and writing a note into my iPhone.
Well, she obviously did something she didn’t allow herself in the past, but she took my iPhone afterwards to take a look.
In result I got a bigger C&F tube fly box for my biggest salmon tubes, a GL easy fold net for Troutspey, a new book about fly tying for Streamers and a book about the history of one of the new rivers in my club water.
Well, I have longer lists for more specialized and more expensive gear she didn’t find...

But a real nice surprise.
I guess it’s the benefit of becoming older, in result with less dangerous notes and secrets in the Handy?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Right-on Mike. I hope you get to sport your new gear at you favorite bar soon.

Likewise, my wife also got for me a new fishing cap although mine is of a lightweight, fast drying material and perfect for the tropics and fishing in the surf here. And a fresh set of thermals because in 2020 - we will return to the Pacific Northwest for keeps this time. She is usually several steps ahead of me. That is why she's my santa.

Vic.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I got the ultimate gift yesterday, time on the river. I had a 5 hour gap and took advantage of the warm spell we are in. Hopped in the car, drove an hour, hiked 2km into a spot I like. Had one on for a few seconds and it spit the hook at the surface. Two casts later had another tug but missed it. Nothing to hand but what a wonderful experience on Christmas day.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,568 Posts

Mike
Nice Mike! We need a pic of you modeling them.

I got the ultimate gift yesterday, time on the river. I had a 5 hour gap and took advantage of the warm spell we are in. Hopped in the car, drove an hour, hiked 2km into a spot I like. Had one on for a few seconds and it spit the hook at the surface. Two casts later had another tug but missed it. Nothing to hand but what a wonderful experience on Christmas day.
The wife and I don't bother exchanging gifts rather we use our cash for travel instead. We do participate in a secret Santa with our kids, grand kids and extended family from which I received a gift card to my "local" fly shop which is fantastic. The best thing for Christmas though was much like the Zencaster, a few hours alone swinging flies! Tough to beat.

Very important fishing accessory.
I hope your going to share that gift!

Dan

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the past 12 years or so, my wife has given me a Christmas card wishing me fun on "two guilt-free fishing trips out west". She's never once mentioned costs or duration of the trips - she's an absolute sweetheart. And those trips have morphed into a month-long Montana trout trip and a month-long fall steelhead trip. Both trips I do with a friend who lives in MT, whom I've been fishing with for 32 years - which in its own right, is another gift. Yes, I fully recognize just how lucky I am.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Best Christmas Present Ever

Linda and I came to the conclusion a few years ago that at our age there wasn't really much we needed or wanted. If either of us felt the urge, we simply bought what was wanted or needed at any given time. So...we do our Christmas shopping on a very limited...therefore creative budget...at the Dollar Store and then take the money we might otherwise spend on gifts and donate it to local charities like a women's shelter, a medical clinic for the needy or homeless, a group that distributes food and clothing where necessary...well you get the idea...and it strictly local not one of the national organizations. We want to be sure our donations go where we want them to go:smile2::smile2:

For me personally...after serious spine surgery on 12/10, followed by 3 days in the hospital, then 12 days in physical rehab my best Christmas present ever was to be discharged and arrive home on Christmas day. Doesn't get any better than that:):):)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Pappy Van Winkle Grand reserve 23year ..............yeah right!!!!!!! Santa laughed at me!!!

Okay, something I really needed for sure, my wife got me a Simms G4 waterproof sling pack! Very happy about that

And a nice iHome Bluetooth speaker for when I’m tying.......my kids and wife know I love music all the time. 👍

·
Registered
284 Posts
But absolutely what you already said.
In general it’s very difficult for the relatives, to get the right gift for the well equipped, picky and selective Spey Fisherman.

This. How many of us got a Mike Popeils’s Pocket Fisherman in the ‘70’s?

I’m assuming my bottle of Angel’s Envy also counts as a fishing accessory?

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
I'm in George's camp! At 68, I can't imagine owning or using anything more than what I've got. (I've got 40 year old shirts!) So this year, our reduced family (all parents gone) decided to spend the holidays with each other, requiring no gifts to be happy. My son and his new bride spent 3 great days with us, which is all I asked for. Board games, great food, walks in the woods, jig-saw puzzles, a Christmas movie or two, and of course, great fermented spirits to send us all off to sleep in semi-inebriated bliss made us all very thankful to have what we have.

All the best to my fellow forumites. (is that like a hellgrammite?) :wink2:

·
newcomer to spey casting
220 Posts
Swiss CDC multi-clamp for tying loops

Loon Pawn material holder (she thinks I should keep my bench neat)

Two different types of deer hair from Nature's Spirit (she loves me even if I can't keep my bench neat..)

A furnace Whiting rooster pro grade saddle sized for the old fashioned winged wet trout flies I like to tie, for body and shoulder hackling. Perfect for intended use.

A set of SA Sonar polyleaders and a leader wallet

An OPST Commando Groove intermediate shooting head in a grain weight appropriate for my trout Spey rod

A pool cue to use when spending time with non fishing friends. (Schon)

She is a passionate flyrodder who fishes single hand rods exclusively, but kindly supports my TH journey, spoiling me all the way.

Happy New Year to all!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts