Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone be kind enough to put out a table of which of his rods use what blanks?

rod blanks
?
?

·
JD
3,641 Posts

I have an ACR 1339 which I heard was built on a "Burkie" blank.
I could be wrong about that. From what I've heard he had a 12'6" 5 wt that was originally rolled on a Burkie blank. But I've also heard it has gone through some design changes so who knows? Some custom rod builders are very secretive about that sort of thing.

I don't really care who rolls the blank. As long as I like the feel of it and can get replacement parts if I need them.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
no table

he's been with Sage since the beginning and that's his basis for being,,he does `other stuff',but he's basically a `Sage man',(and that SHOULD be alright to discuss HERE since they ARE a sponsor ;) ,maybe people don't know the story=`Sage' was started by the owner of `Fenwick' rods,as he sold his company that he built from the bootstraps up(gee,sounds like a local rodbuilder i've heard of ;) )he was told as he signed the paperwork and slid it across the desk,well Mr-----,we're going to shut down the plant (you worked your whole a-- end o-- for years to build) and we'll be having the rods built in china now and,well,we'll be selling them everywhere! :eek: i guess most do not recall how a `fenglass' rod was top o' the line,could be spotted from a hundred ft. away,came with a bag and a tube,and of course all the hot fisher's had em',wasn't that long ago!,,well after selling real estate thru the `no-compete' period Mr. `Sage' or was that `Fenwick' decided he'd rock and roll (you can't keep a good man down eh!?),,,the rest is History,,or is it?, :tsk_tsk: ,guys like Gary have been around soooo long you just can't drain enough info out of em' when talking to them; you feel guilty for taking their time while customers wait,,,and he has ties so deep you wouldn't believe it,when a small shop has blanks rolled that are his design,,,go figure, :hihi: and Bob Meiser is a great friend of Gary and Kerry Burkheimer as well,so,,,in spite of the fact i wave Daiwas(only because i'm a pigheaded sort of independant like few are unless they happen to live in the area ;) ),the northwest HAS the POWER rodbuilders,,,for the future of the sport as we embrace it,,did i mention Loomis? or Rogue?or Evans:) (best be backtrackin' some threads if you want any phone #'s),i'm not giving them out,someone is,,, :lildevl:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The 13'3" blanks are made by Burkie but to Gary's specs - he has his own tapers. Not sure about the shorter ones. I understand his 12 footers are made overseas. I have the 13'3" 7 and the 1204 and like both rods. The 7 wt has alot of power for short or long lines. I just fell in love with the 1204 a couple of weeks ago when I used it in a skagit casting style (see skagit eye opener post)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts