Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tying more Dees know, and really enjoying them. Currently using the AJ 1.5 Blind Eye, but looking for some alternatives.

So I put the question to you out there, what are your favourite (currently produced) hooks to tie Dee styles on, and why?

Cheers,

Scott.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I also have been using the A.J. #1.5 blind eye hook but they don't seem very sturdy to me. They bend quite easily IMO. :(

I just bought some Partridge Bartleet HE 2 hooks. The size 1/0 is about the same dimensions as the Alec Jackson and they look a lot stronger. :)

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
The Limerick bend of the Gaelic Supreme HB long dee 1/0 iron is my favorite for dee flies. The BHSH No.1 is a second favorite. I like the convenience of the return loop -vs- blind eye. Also, it is a good size for typical dee patterns which tend to dress better large than they do tied small. The Daiichi 2271 is awesome for the small versions. I'd like to see one size larger of these hooks. The Partridge HE2 1/0 is up there also.

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
HE2's are my favorite by far , size #1/0 is a norm for me , but do tie on #2/0 as well , they have their place in my world . The Gaelic HB's are excellent as well . The AJ 2091's are a good (easy) choice , they do bend but are pretty tough and I have had no issues except for one bad batch I received where the hooks broke in the middle of the bend . Hasn't happened since though .

Daiichi 2271 with the eye ground off and replaced with your choice of material for a blind eye.
I do this as well :)
Makes for a very nice overall profile .
I also tie the platform as is sometimes , but have a hard time with the down-eye loop for a Dee . Would rather these hooks be blind eyes .

I look for a nice bend with minimal gap , preferably a Bartleet or modified Bartleet . The shank must taper down at least at the last third to accommodate the loop material . At this point a slight bend in the shank is preferred , but not necessary . I do like the way the wings set across a bent shank , very low . Also throws a preferred profile for my preferred wing set , Murdoch style :smokin:
I do not like a high gloss finish , save that for tyers who like to put flies on a wall . I'm a fisherman and prefer the muted black colour of old , merely to add a vintage flavour to the dressing .
I still haven't found a Dee Iron that is barbless , it would save me from pinching down the barb every time .

Mike

·
Registered
997 Posts
HE2 is an awesome hook with both strength and great classic looks. Another option, close to home and easy to find is mustad salmon singles in 2/0 XH wire. Good hooks, great point, reliable. Grab a torch and pliers, straighten the return eye and you have a great fisher with good wire, correct proportions shank wise and holds fish well... However not as traditional as the HE2 looks... The Gaelic Supreme hooks are really, really nice too.

Cheers.
J

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gaelic supreme Harisson Bartleet Dees and Dee longs are very nice if you can find some. I'm pretty lucky to have a decent supply 😊 Partridge HE2 are sweet and rumoured to be going back in production. AJ blind eyes are great looking but easily damaged. Nice for display but personally would not fish them after seeing how easy they bust.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gang.

If Dee flies were only more popular it might be worth while getting in touch with a manufacturer and getting into the business myself ;)

Wonder who makes the Blue Heron hooks, they seem to do a pretty damn good job to me.

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
The Blue Herons are designed by Dave McNeese , once head hook designer for Partridge , pre-Singapore (Mustad) .
He has contracted Gamakatsu to manufacture them .

Mike

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might have to get the ol' torch out and make up a design of my own ;) Fantasy land, population me. Ha!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Partridge harrison barleet blind eye long dee (not sure if still made, found them on ebay). Nice long shank with classic bend, similar to the GS HB long dee hooks. I dont think the partridge he2, BH, or any alec jackson have traditional shapes for spey or dee, even though they look nice/ and or fish well. None of the hook plates in the old books have the curved shank shape of the modern hooks. Dees should be tied on long shanked hooks and the bend should start around the point of the hook if you want a traditional look but i cannot comment on strength since i have not fished each one of them enough :p

·
Registered
371 Posts
Partridge harrison barleet blind eye long dee (not sure if still made, found them on ebay). Nice long shank with classic bend, similar to the GS HB long dee hooks.
My choice too since GS is no longer being manufactured. And yes, they are still being made! My buddy is a dealer for Partridge and he said he can get them anytime. CJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts