Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new pair of sunglasses and curious to know what members favorite for models and lens colors are. I'm in the market for a pair and lens color for mostly cloudy overcast and low light fishing and sight seeing conditions. Thanks

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have been wearing a pair of Smith Optics amber lens glasses for a good 15 years or more. Well built, optically very good and if I were shopping for new glasses that brand would be one of 2 under consideration. The other brand I'd look at, which I wear in the car for driving, is Maui Jim. I spoke with the manager of an optical store about over the counter sunglasses and he said the MJ's were absolutely the best optical quality lenses in the business...and his store didn't even sell them at the time!! There are many quality brands out there, but these 2 are my favorites. Color...no doubt for low light conditions...copper...in my opinion anyway. I am also adamant about using only glass lenses...but that's just me.
Cheers,
George

·
Dom
3,091 Posts
I really like Costas. Been using amber but I grey is very nice too.

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
I have a few pairs of the Maui Jim Hookipa Readers with the HCL Bronze lense. They've worked very well for me in all conditions and the readers make life much easier on the water.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I will also second maui jims. And I spoke with an optometrist that said exactly the same thing about them being the best quality lenses.
I also have a copper lense and it gives a different light and brightness that I have never seen before.
Their warranty is second to none. Twice in 2 years I have had them fall off my cap and break a lense.
both times a new pair was shipped to my door via UPS at no charge through their service department.
I now use an arm strap to avoid mishaps.
I would highly recommend them

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Been using Smith (Action Optics) for many years - I wear prescriptions and really like amber -very good for spring creek trout as well as flats fishing - two of my favorite pastimes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Smith Optics Backdrop frame with a polar chromatic lens. I've read about about how the copper lens pulls reds from objects and truly witnessed it for the first time about a week ago. It was getting dark out and I was about to take my glasses off when I noticed my orange running line was glowing! I've used them for years and love them. Had Costas before that and they were good, but the smiths out perform IMO.

·
Hacker
584 Posts
I have a few pairs of the Maui Jim Hookipa Readers with the HCL Bronze lense. They've worked very well for me in all conditions and the readers make life much easier on the water.
Same here, except I have one set that is darker for sunny days and another pair that is lighter for cloudy days. Very light, great lenses, and do not know what I would do without the readers these days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
All the cool kids with glasses are wearing Cocoons. Tropical flats green mirror lenses, amber for day to day wear and yellow for driving. Shied away from them for year, but they have really improved the quality and style.

·
Registered
20 Posts
check out salt life, the have zeiss lenses. Ive worn expensive oakleys, spys and the new smiths with chroma pop. And hand down the quality and polarization on the salt lifes are next level compared to anything else ive worn!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Best glasses I've ever had — Julbo Explorers. They're mountaineering (glacier) sunglasses with a shape that provides excellent built-in side protection. Built-in ventilation. Mine are amber/copper prescription polarized photochromic bifocals that I purchased from a great company in Colorado — Opticus. Opticus provided the lenses to fit my specs using the Julbo frames. Being photochromic, they darken on bright days and lighten on dark days and toward evening. Perfect fit, comfortable.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Best I ever owned were a pair of Maui Jim bronze lens. Some lowlife stole them out of my car. Replaced them with some Action Optics which were quite nice until I broke them. Currently have a pair of Maui Jims that I'm less than thrilled with. Lens quality is ok but the frames are far from comfortable. I only wear them in bright sunlight though as for first and low light fishing I wear some photo chromatic Wiley X glasses. These were my Harley riding glasses and the most comfortable glasses I have ever worn. They don't get dark enough for bright sun but in the dark they are clear and once it gets light, they darken enough to cut any glare.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Best glasses I've ever had — Julbo Explorers. They're mountaineering (glacier) sunglasses with a shape that provides excellent built-in side protection. Built-in ventilation. Mine are amber/copper prescription polarized photochromic bifocals that I purchased from a great company in Colorado — Opticus. Opticus provided the lenses to fit my specs using the Julbo frames. Being photochromic, they darken on bright days and lighten on dark days and toward evening. Perfect fit, comfortable.
Wow...those, including the opticus prescription are the ones I use, but I got them for backpacking in the Sierra. They are 4's so on typical rainy and overcast steelhead days they are pretty dark. They are also a couple of years out of date for me - apparently I am in a rapid phase of Mr. Magooification. A couple of weeks back I had to do a lot of casting 80ish feet where I wanted to land the fly a foot from the opposite band in a slot and sometimes also under or between branches. I kept doing what I though were prefect casts only to find the fly wasn't where I though it was. I wasn't seeing it. So a couple of weeks ago I ordered some more up to date prescription, polarized, lighter amber ones from zenni optical, the online Walmart (or whatever is a couple of rungs lower down than that) of glasses. If you are not familiar with these, they can almost be in the disposable category. They are perfectly fine functionally, but generally not as durable, but for me multiple cheap pairs are a better strategy than expensive and durable, at least until the magooification slows down a bit. But I would order from opticus again as my "nice" pair, once I get worked out what I want lens-wise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a pair of Costa Blackfins with the glass lenses and love them. I have put them through 4 years of solid abuse guiding sea kayaking, fishing, skiing, climbing, daily wear, and everything else. No other glasses I've encountered, expensive or cheap, have held up so well as these. When I bought them, I was told the glass lenses would not scratch and, of course, doubted this. Turns out they really don't scratch (not for lack of dropping/bumping into things on my part).

I have the dark grey lenses and have found them well suited to just about any light conditions. I think they have a slightly lighter grey that might be better for low light, but the dark grey does well in bright sun and overcast.

After having these, I don't think I could ever buy a different pair of glasses. I've had Raybans and others fall apart from saltwater or getting dropped. The Costas have the durability category locked down for me.

I've had a few pairs of Julbo glacier glasses I liked, too, but none of them were polarized so they don't really fit into the fishing conversation.

·
Recreational User
214 Posts
"Low light" pretty much describes my working / fishing conditions in the Tongass National forest, and my frame / lens of choice are Smith Guide's Choice in photochromic copper and Smith Precept with low-light ignitor lenses. Fit is a pretty big factor in frame choice, as light-leak around ill-fitting frames disrupts the effectiveness of good polarized lenses. The guide's choice fit me great with minimal leak, but the copper can be dim on the most overcast days. I get a little light leak around the precepts as they are smaller lenses, but when the light is low the ignitor lens comes into its own.

If you haven't had your glasses measurements taken, I would strongly recommend it - a good set of glass polarized lenses is spendy, and they perform much better in well-fit frames.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oakley Half Jackets, grey lense and polarized. So far, I've managed to lose one pair but have kept my current ones intact for at least 5+ years. Used to wear contacts and liked the wind protection they offer. Had cataract surgery last year, no contacts or glasses required, and I still like them. Been an Oakley fan for years. Light on the face and the lenses/parts can be replaced, as long as the style is current, which mine aren't. :mad: Will have to buy Half Jackets or something else when these are lost/fail.

When not being worn, they are always back in the cleaning/storage sock. A few years ago, a friend gave me a hard case that has been a life saver.

Mark

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm a Costa fan here. I would also second the comment on frame fit. I think frame fit plays a major factor in to how enjoyable the glasses are to wear. It really doesn't matter how great the lenses are if they are uncomfortable to wear. I had Smiths and really loved the lenses. I lost them and got the Costas and the frame fit for me is far superior. In my opinion, find a top tier manufacturer and try out the frames and find the ones that are the most comfortable. Costa, Maui Jims, Smiths, Oakley etc are a matter of preference. Once you find the frames that were really calling your name, I would get the best glass lenses they have in amber or copper.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
433 Posts
I have what are called Pilots glasses. Wire frame with wire wrap around earpieces. Large green glass lenses. The whole thing is a perscription unit. You can't knock them of ,they can't fall off if you fall in or fall over. You would have to smash your face to damage them. They are over 30 years old, with new lenses now and then, but I don't know if I could ever replace them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts