Spey Pages banner

What am I doing right/wrong?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  GusG 
#1 ·
Can anyone suggest what I might be doing right or wrong in my casting stroke that enables me to throw an Airflo "Rage" line a country mile (same with Wulff Ambush) but I can't get a decent loop with either a Rio or Airflo "Skagit" line?

IT'S NOT THE ROD! I have the exact same rods that folks on this board post every day that their favorite pairing is a rod identical to one of mine and a Skagit line.

So, whatever the reason it's got to be in my casting stroke. I'd say my casting stroke most closely resembles a Skagit style stroke.

#5 ·
are you casting the rage and ambush using sustained anchor techniques or T&G?

For sustained anchor casting with short heads you really want to keep a very compact short stroke with no big lift at the end of the D loop formation - your upper hand need never get above your shoulder and keep your elbows tucked pretty tight to your sides

#6 ·
Slow it dwn

I had same problem when I first started and ill say its prob what everyone told me, SLOW IT DOWN! Ur using a skagit head, not sure what u have after the head: tip, leader , fly but it needs to sink and stick a bit to load ur rod. Hopefully that's all.

#7 ·
Is your Skagit head the same weight as your Rage? If so, that might be part of the problem. Ideally, it should be 30 grains heavier.
The only other thing I can think of is you may be setting your anchor too far out in front, causing you to pull your anchor when forming your D-loop. Try setting it just off the end of your rod tip.

#8 ·
Went to the river today. I gave a great deal of thought to each of your comments. I carefully observed and analyzed every aspect of my casts while on the river.

In general, applying your suggestion resulted in an improvement in my casting overall.

First, I am pulling/blowing my anchor. Focusing on good solid anchors resulted in much improved casts. So thanks for that.

Second, keeping my arms down and holding my elbows in forced me to use my bottom hand more which contributed to more solid anchors, tighter loops, and more powerful casts.

So, thanks for taking the time guys. Your suggestions really helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.