Spey Pages banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
I think on the American in addition to the DIY innertube funhog crowd there are even companies that provide shuttles and equipment. I wouldnt be surprised if an extra bit this year is pent up demand from the epidemic, especially on weekends. But I’ve had good times there shad hunting. When they get to the upper river it becomes super easy to find a spot, sometimes even with a bit of (illusory) isolation - just use the hike and bike system. Come early, find a spot, and wait until late. If you leave by 3 pm the vast majority of the action most days will not even have started yet!

I’ve been tying shad flies for the past few days - kind of a low-skill, relaxation thing more than actually needing more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think on the American in addition to the DIY innertube crowd there are even companies that provide shuttles and equipment. I wouldnt be surprised if an extra bit this year is pent up demand from the epidemic, especially on weekends. But I’ve had good times there shad hunting. When they get to the upper river it becomes super easy to find a spot, sometimes even with a bit of (illusory) isolation - just use the hike and bike system. Come early, find a spot, and wait until late. If you leave by 3 pm it mostly has not even started yet!

I’ve been tying shad flies for the past few days - kind of a low skill, relaxing thing more than needing more.
ya i saw a ton of busses picking people up at Rossmoor.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Do they do it like they do in Texas, where there is always at least one extra large truck tube in the flotilla to hold a huge cooler full of beer? :LOL:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am across the Bay from you, so a bit farther out. Those are good spots and will likely pick up soon. We are still early season, so fish are still coming up. A lot has to do with being there when the school is moving through.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do they do it like they do in Texas, where there is always at least one extra large truck tube in the flotilla to hold a huge cooler full of beer? :LOL:
Yes, its part of the carrier group.
I am also tying shad flies. Shifted from AR steelhead flies to Shad flies last week.
Love that river, despite that it can be heavily used.

·
Registered
Winston Trout Rods, Sage and Burkie Steelhead Rods, Abel, Orvis, Tibor and Islander reels.
123 Posts
My dad wants to take a fishing trip with me before hes not able to anymore. He's never fly fished, knees are pretty shot, rest of body pretty beat from 30 years as a firefighter, So no walk and wade trips.

He asked where I would want to go and we could get a guide for a float trip.

Where would you recommend taking someone with no experience but myself being a swing only (when it comes to Steelhead) kind of guy that we could both have a good time on the water? and who would you recommend as a guide? Obviously the experience is more important than the catch. I was thinking Deschutes, North Umpqua, Rogue, or the OP.

or we could take the trout route and go somewhere for a good dry fly trip. Also open to suggestions for that.

Looking at the Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana area. BC if we begin to open up more. Maybe April/May or the end of this year.

Thanks!
We took a trip with a novice many years ago to the Green River in Utah. Tons of fish and dry fly action with huge dries, beautiful scenery and a ton of fun. Very forgiving for kids or newbie flyfishers. The outfitter we used was Trout Creek Flies in Dutch John Utah and had an absolute blast! Fish the "A" section as much as you can. You can even camp if you wish, and everything is set up and waiting when you come off the river at the end of the day ( cold beer, tents and steaks on the grill.) I highly recommend that trip! Whatever you do, enjoy the time with your Dad.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts