Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pleased to announce that Scientific Anglers has joined the Flyfishing Forum/Speypages sponsorship team!

SA has long been an important part of my flyfishing experience: I learned my steelhead basics from Lani Waller's videos, sharpened up my casting with Doug Swisher, still have my old copies of "Fly Fishing Made Easy", still use my old System 2L on my trout rods, and have purchased more SA lines than I can remember.

Special thanks to John Mazurkiewicz, Way Yin, and Bruce Richards for making this happen. Welcome aboard SA, and thanks for your support!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Great News

It is good to have them as sponsors. Now, Perhaps we can get a little more of the story from Dr. Yin. Thanks to all who worked to help it happen.:chuckle:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Ted, Good Point.

To the board's new sponsor, Scientific Anglers, welcome. We all look forward to the intellectual contributions of SA's representatives.

A significant number of folks on this board crave detailed Spey/Skagit line data. The information enables matching of lines and tips to rods, because as you know well, Spey rod and fly line designations follow no published standard.

It will be appreciated if SA provides the following data for Spey and Skagit lines:
- Name and weight designation of line
- Total length of line
- Length of head
- Weight of head
- For multi-piece lines, please supply length and weight of interchangeable tips.

Will you please tell us the telephone number and point of contact of the SA person best able to provide data. If it is more comfortable to deal one-on-one, will you be kind enough to PM [private message] me with contact information. Alternatively, you may contact Dana Sturn, whom you know would handle information with discretion.

Many thanks,
Bob Pauli

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
AUCTION Now IN PROGRESS! SA Spey Lines and Striper Lines

Welcome to SA.

As you know there is an auction going on now:

AUCTION Now IN PROGRESS! SA Spey Lines and SA Striper Lines.

Members should click the icon "AUCTION Now IN PROGRESS! " and make some bids on these lines to support our site. :cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
S.A.

I agree with Bob Pauli But this company has still not said yet openly in puplic that they are comeing out with a skagit head. So maybe we are asking for something they don't have or wont admit to. Because they fear there competitors. Or what.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I thought the new Marlow line is due the end of the month from what I have heard. They are just refining the loops.

-sean

·
Registered
254 Posts
I second Bob's thoughts about seeing some specs on the SA heads. If it is a factory loop issue, I hope they don't make 'em too pretty because fanatics like me will custom cut and loop anyway. Maybe the delay is because of name and trademark issues. Should they call them Ed Wards or Marlow Bumpus Skagit heads. Maybe Rio has filed an injuction stopping the sale of SA Skagit heads because they fear them and need more time to bring Guideline heads to U.S. markets. Maybe they already produced thousands and they are the wrong color. I can't wait, I'm heading out tomorrow to go play with my Guideline Power Tapers and this goofy freshwater squid thing I tied up.

Matt Burke

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can Us Brits bid

Cant see any info on where he,ll post to .
would like a Striper line for my SWFF :smokin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bid away Andy if we both win I'll share the postage with you.

I'm a current high bidder on an XLT fingers crossed

·
Registered
10 Posts
SA sponsorship, questions

Hi guys, sorry this reply is late. The site decided not to recognize my password and it took a couple days to get that straightened out. The following is a reply I sent to Dana to post, but I can do it myself now!

It is nice to finally be a sponsor of this great site. As you know, there are lots of sites out there that want sponsors, can't sponsor them all.....

Some responses to specific questions/ comments:

t-richerzhagen - I don't know quite what story you are referring to, but if Way or I could clarify something for you we'd be happy to.

Bob Pauli - Happy to provide all the spey line info. I can. We will be publishing a chart eventually that will have all line dimensions, weight at length, etc. If there is specific information I can provide now on aparticular line I'd be happy to do so, just let me know.

Please keep in mind that the spey market, although very visible and important, is still only about 1% of the fly fishing market. As much as I would like to spend all day monitoring spey sites and answering questions, there just isn't time. I'll check in when I can, and if there is a thread going that might benefit from information from me it would be nice if someone would bring
that to my attention via e-mail. At present the site hasn't been able to allow me to register so messages will be passed through Dana, hopefully that problem will be remedied someday.

There is no "Skagit" line. Yes, I've worked with Ed Ward and Marlow Bumpus some and have made a couple experimental line samples based on their input, but everything is very preliminary at this point. We are in our busiest production time at the factory, not a good time for making experimental lines. When (if?) things slow down in the spring we'll be moving forward but don't know where we'll end up, or when. Patience please........

James Reales - We haven't said openly that we will, or won't, be coming out with a "Skagit" line because we don't know, simple as that. If development work continues and results in a great new line that has some demand, then we will. If not, we won't. I suspect there will be one, but only time will tell....

mattzoid - Thanks for the comments on the loops. The fanatics will most likely continue to make their own, but the majority of the market wants a better connection system, it is important. There are no trademark or naming issues. There is no injunction. There is no Guideline "conspiracy" that I know of. We have produced a few prototypes, thats all, honest. There is no issue with color, we'll make them whatever color the majority wants. If
half the stuff that is imagined was actually going on that's all I'd have time to do! I am telling the truth, there are no secrets, conspiracies, intrigue or espionage. The spey market is very small and spey lines can't be the #1 thing on an already full plate. The single hand line development process takes time, the spey line development process takes 4 times as long, at least, to do it right. Again, patience..........

I do greatly appreciate the level of interest that is generated by a little information on spey lines. We do have some very interesting new things coming along. Right now we are making and starting to ship the new Short-head spey lines and will soon be shipping the newly redesigned Mastery Spey line. These are wonderful designs that Al Buhr helped us with and they cast and fish beautifully. Excellent compliments to the Mastery XLT that Way Yin helped us with a couple years ago. There is more coming, I just can'tsay exactly what, or when, right now. No conspiracy, I just don't know!

Looking forward to being a bigger part of this great spey site.

Bruce Richards - SA line designer

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

I am interested in hearing a little more from Dr. Yin about the development of the XLT. There is an old thread with the lines he was cutting to make a prototype for the 7136-4. As I recall it was three or four - pretty expensive and makes the XLT look like the great bargin it is. I would also like a little more information on the taper and weights for the XLT class of lines. That can be very useful in deciding where to cut for tips, and even, which one might be most appropriate.

Welcom aboard. I am looking forward to the Skagit lines and future improvements from SA.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks Bruce,

That was a great response and honest too. I wasn't really thinking it was a conspiracy. It's just that my mind has been a little idle while waiting for the rivers to drop back into shape, but I've gone fishing three times in the last three days and I'm calmer now. Really...I am. I guess I can stop sweating bullets on when the Skagit heads come out which is fine as I'm really having fun with my home made, Guideline and new Rio scan heads. I'll need 'til spring to fine tune them for several different rods anyway. Thanks for the info and let us know when you have a link on those Skagit head specs.

Matt Burke

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spey stuff

Ted, I don't know (actually don't remember!) all the gyrations we went through to get to the current XLT design. Way did all of the cutting and pasting, I copied his hybrid designs in one piece. I know the story is very long, but suspect Way would be willing to give you the abbreviated version. I'll let him know you asked, suspect he'll post before long.

Matt, glad you were able to get a "fix" and are feeling better! I know what thats like, snowing like mad here today and cold, but at least its real windy. Have to admit that fishing isn't an appealing proposition in Michigan today! I will eventually put together a chart that has all the info you could ever want on all our spey lines. Obviously I have all the numbers, but they are in our production standards and not in a format I can send out. I'll convert to an Excel spreadsheet and make available somehow, soon I hope.

I sure appreciate everyones enthusiasm for the products. Thanks!
Bruce

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Bruce -

Wonderful to have you on board! I hope the Skagit style lines do eventually become available someday down the road, but I understand how busy you must be right now.

I look forward to fishing some of the other S/A lines this season, particularly the striper lines, if ol' man winter ever let's go of it's icy grip! I've used some of the neutral sky colors and find the fish very comfortable with the color and willing takers, much less affected than the dark tungsten colors for instance.

If you are ever on Cape Cod during the striper season please drop me a line and hopefully we can grab a bucket of steamers and a cold one after a good day on the flats.

thanks for your support,
Juro

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Bruce,

I would also like to welcome Scientific Anglers as a sponsor to the "forum". I have an issue regarding SA spey lines that I would like to discuss with you when your Private messaging becomes available or you can e-mail me at:
[email protected] Take care, MJC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Juro, if I get out your way I'll definitely take you up on your offer!
Dana, when we get the new series done I'll send some samples your way for testing.
Bruce

M

·
0 Posts
For the record I have, thanks to Bruce and Paul Arden, a T40 competition head, Its a sinker Tungsten and a wizz on a 12'4" Loop Blackline 9/10. Its a type 1V sinker 54 feet long a 617 gns, Now that is a "Spey" head, VBG, but its 20lb b/s.. I hear that Brice has a few looking for homes. Give it a try. You might be mildly suprised. Max

1 - 20 of 43 Posts