Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Umpqua has a new fly line scale out for around $20 - anyone tired it yet? I sure have a bunch of old shooting heads I would love to weigh - I have always gone down to my favorite shop and used theirs but this is cheap

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I have the Umpqua line scale and found it to be practically useless. Not worth 20 cents in my opinion. I now have an electronic balance that reads in oz, grams, grains, carats, and several other denominations and the cost with batteries and cover/sample tray, and calibrating wt. delivered was $25.00 USD. Fits in a shirt pocket.

Got mine from Steve Godshall a guide in southern OR. phone 541-840-2594 or 774-8812.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I use an eary Pact reloading scale from my shooting days. It has a tare button for resetting to zero when a small paper plate is placed on the load cell.

I am presently experimenting with heads for my new CND Atlantis rods, the scale is essential for establishing line weights.

Very usefull for weighting fly lines, hooks, lead eyes and other fly fishing items.

Regards,
Fred Krow

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use a pocket digital scale which I bought from Ebay. I believe it is for weighing jewellery and is accurate to 0.1 grammes. The tray is a bit small but gets me by for weighing heads for homemade spey lines.

I picked it up for less than £15 ($8).

That was on Ebay UK but I'm sure the stateside Ebay will have seller's doing a similar product. Do a search for gramme, gram, grams, and grammes scale/scales.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Grain scales

Hi Guys

Also I see Aaron of the River Run Anglers (spey shop) which is a sponsor of the speypages and a prince of a guy. Has a grain scale for sale on his web site. Might be worth checking out to some of you.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Scales

The little scale Aaron sells works very well for messing with spey lines. :)

G

·
GaryW,

We could only wish for an item that is 15 lbs. Sterling (can't find a symbol for that) would cost $8.00US. Unfortunately, the conversion goes the other way and that item would cost about $28.00US.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, sorry, my mistake; you are correct the conversion does go the other way. I'll go and slap myself with a wet fish!!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
And you can also weigh gunpowder

I just did a fast search on eBay. Under "powder scale" (within Sporting Goods), there were 118 entries, from $10 up. The average was probably under $50. Many powder scales top out at 500 or 505 grains, which would be a handicap. There was one interesting digital scale with a range up to 1500 grains (which would handle even a 10/11 Rio GrandSpey), at a Buy-it-Now price of $64.99.

For occasional use, you could turn to a buddy who handloads ammunition, or to your local pharmacist.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
I just purchased the Umpqua flyline scale last week... save your money is all I can say it mesures up to 30 grams or just over 430 grains seems really flimsy
just my 2 cents
Rambo

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Digital scale

The one that Steve Godshall is selling is the same one that Aaron has at his shop. I got mine from Meise. This thing is the answer to our dreams. Well, ,for a line scale anyway. :biggrin: It will weigh in ounces, grams, grains, and a few other denominations that I have no idea what they are. It has a capacity of 500 grams, which is 7716.2 grains!!!! And it will tare the line/reel spool, if you have an empty one to weigh first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts