Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned before I had some time today to knock a few out...a little cheating with this photo since I posted 2 of these previously.

Clockwise from the top right... Switcher, Artful Dodger, Major, Tom Tickler, Baker and a Childers. The Baker and Childers are on some antique Williams Limericks size #1, the others on GS Bartleets and Francis Francis's, 1/0 and 2/0.

These Tolfrey patterns start to get repetitious, I didn't need to look too far for materials from one to another [except the Major, ran out of barred feathers for the wing!] CJ

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
HA! I knew we were all looking at the same resources! Beautiful John! My wife's laptop is running out of batts so logging off for now. I am enjoying your ties!

Adrian

·
Administrator
18,144 Posts
As expected , outstanding work John :smokin:
The Tom Tickler is a pattern I've always wanted to try , I should give it a go .

Mike

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Those are truly beautiful flees for sure.

Could you offer any advice for someone who has never done flies like these, books, dvd's and so on. Maybe there are some good SBT vids on Youtube?

Anyways thank you for sharing them, I have been going back to look at them often to brighten my day.

KC

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great work CJ, question, gut sub or real deal? Looks legit
A little of both actually. It is silk, but not the raw variety from the worm. Its Japanese leader material carded in 30 yard lengths. I grabbed a bunch of it many years ago really cheap and glad I did as gut material is harder to find every year.

For small flies, 6-2 I use 3 strands of 4lb test twisted. For the 1/0-bigger, 3 strands of 6lb twisted. It handles just like the pricy stuff, you have to soak it for hours and after twisted let it dry overnight, but its tough and "real" enough for me. CJ

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
John......what are beauty set of flies here !!
Love the your style of classic flies.....looks like 100 year old antique flies !!!
Excellent tied my friend John !!

Jin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts