Spey Pages banner

21 - 40 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The green wire one SCREAMS OUT for King Salmon.

Thats a solid pattern. I tie quite a bit with pheasant rump dyed in various colors. I tie up a conehead muddler and use PR for the hackle.
Used a very similar fly on the Chetco River for years. Sank like a rock in deep pools where those fellows hung out just out of the 'Salt.' Only time I ever used my 9 or 10 wt rods. Odd to feel 'The take,' rod just started to 'throb' for a lack of a better term.

Years back, wife 2.0 next to me (she was using a 'drift rod/reel); I looked at her rod: "You have a King Salmon on the end of your line."

"I do?"

"Reef back and set the hook."

The next sound I never heard in the bedroom ..... :eek:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Bill, is that mid-hackle palmered forward through the thorax region, or is it just in the middle? I'd fish that fly in confidence. In fact i'm going to tie a few up for my local water.
Just the middle. I can't wait to try these out myself.

Thanks,

-Bill

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree, we do need a separate HFF section for trout. It would make it easier to distinguish patterns from the steelhead/salmon ones.
I'm bettin' a steelface or salmon would take that same pattern. Trout aren't such different animals....

I REALLY like that patten, and I'm a deranged pheasant hunter as well, so this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm bettin' a steelface or salmon would take that same pattern. Trout aren't such different animals....

I REALLY like that patten, and I'm a deranged pheasant hunter as well, so this is greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping to try it out on all species this year!!

What other birds do you have in your area? Ruffed Grouse have some really great feathers to play with as well.

Thanks,

-Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ruffed Grouse have some really great feathers to play with as well.

Thanks,

-Bill
Indeed they do! As a grouse hunter, I have plenty of RG feathers to play with. One of these days, I'll try to cure an entire skin. This has been a tough season though. So it might be a little while before I have that chance!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Indeed they do! As a grouse hunter, I have plenty of RG feathers to play with. One of these days, I'll try to cure an entire skin. This has been a tough season though. So it might be a little while before I have that chance!
I didn't even get out this season, but judging from last year, I probably wouldn't have faired too well!

-Bill

·
Registered
106 Posts
I do like drifting soft hackles, especially when the spotted sedges and PMDs are coming off on the SF of the Snake, but I like to toss bigger stuff and find the greedy fish, too. Not every river seems to "swing" the same - some like it old school, some like some strips mixed in, and some like it hot all the way back. I use this style a lot. They work well for the triangle water and in tailouts and can handle getting down deep if I need to. I change it up here and there and will add an extra rabbit strip if I plan on using the color combo on some known crawdad haunts.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I swing these quite a bit. It's another baseline variation of my muddler. I've been having great hook-ups on a white one. These are tied on a Daiichi 2461 #4 streamer hook. (I consider it a smaller hook) So they are more of a micro streamer. I swing them, down and across on my 5wt switch rod. The takes have been violent from the second they hit the water clear through to the dangle.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those look awesome! Is there any way you could put up a SBS for them?
I'll see if I have time. But for now I can post the recipe.

Hotwire Zuddler
Hook: Daichii 2461 #4
Thread: 6/0
Head: Med Conehead
Abdomen: Medium Wire (color of choice)
Tail: Rabbit strip (color of choice)
Overwing: 2 strands of flashabou (color of choice)
Hackle: Pheasant Rump-middle long hackled feather, followed by mallard flank. (colors of choice, but I like to use contrasting colors)
Gills: Red Z-zarn
Collar: Spun deer hair, applied "rolled style". Not spun. Just allow it to move around the sides. Trim the bottom so it's flat. Use a razor to trim the blunt ends by the cone.

For the muddler, just omit the rabbit strip tail and the gills.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had an operation on my right foot in October and have been spending some time messing around with dreaming/tying up some little swingers since I won't be doing any fishing for a couple months. These are all fairly simple soft hackle style flies. But of course they haven't been tested yet;)

Comments/critique welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those look great. You've got the hackle proportioned correctly to the hook. Nice and tight all the way around. What kind of hook are you using for flies 1-4? (going down the list)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's a little sz. 10 spey. The wing is a little long, and my mallard skills need some work. Those wings are tough on small hooks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's a little sz. 10 spey. The wing is a little long, and my mallard skills need some work. Those wings are tough on small hooks!

That looks pretty good. Mallard wings are tricky sometimes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here are a couple of Sparrows. Simple to tie and a great swinger. All material is from the Ringneck Pheasant. Black one is from a black dyed skin. Body is anything you want, these two are tied with Arizona Diamond dub. Black one is Firecracker Diamond Duband natural is olive Diamond dub.

21 - 40 of 180 Posts