Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's with a sad and heavy heart that I tell you we lost a dear friend.

For those of us up in Vancouver, Ron Hjorth passed away on the upper Pitt river yesterday. The entire community here is in shock and disbelief.

I had the privilege of working with Ron and spending several days with him on the river.

Anyone who knew him would say he is one of the kindest souls they ever knew. He was always handing out flies and telling you where to go. Never known a more giving person.

This happened in a jet boat, so just a reminder, It can happen to anyone. Ron had fishing that river extensively and knew it well, but that didn't matter yesterday.

No word yet about a service yet but those details will follow in the days to come.

I'm going to miss you Ron...

Ben

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ron was a great guy with a warm smile and always made time for everyone. Was chatting with him last weekend and still in disbelieve when I heard the news yesterday...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sorry to hear, do you know what happened? A river hazard? Heart attack?

I was floating my river last Friday with 2 good friends, one came down with a allergic reaction quickly and did t have an epi pen. Soon he said to call 911, lucky for use we where right next to town so a quick wade across a side channel and he was in a aid car. We where very lucky it happened where it did other wise it would have been a helicopter ride(or some bush wackin for the emt's, a couple miles) as the river was to low for sleds to run. You never know when **** will hit the fan!

Be careful out there folks!!!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
we are going to miss Ron...many didn't know of his tying skills...he was a master and a loss ..our hearts go out to his friends and family..that river has taken too many lives.. may the fish gods smile kindly upon Ron

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry to hear, do you know what happened? A river hazard? Heart attack?

I was floating my river last Friday with 2 good friends, one came down with a allergic reaction quickly and did t have an epi pen. Soon he said to call 911, lucky for use we where right next to town so a quick wade across a side channel and he was in a aid car. We where very lucky it happened where it did other wise it would have been a helicopter ride(or some bush wackin for the emt's, a couple miles) as the river was to low for sleds to run. You never know when **** will hit the fan!

Be careful out there folks!!!
Engine failure / mechanical issue. Boat drifted into a log-jam and flipped. Was not due to lack of experience. Just one of those things.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
go to the bottom of the page click on CLASSIC and the old format will show up
Much better
Bjay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts