Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steelhead are arriving in the upper Salmon River this week. These fish have swum 500,600 miles up the river system and gained almost a mile in elevation. They've avoided the nets, negoiated the dams and other impediments. Amazing, eh! For these fish, it's like winning the lottery. Along with the fish, fishermen are also arriving, a welcome economic boost to our small community. The Idaho run is forecast at 162% above the 10 year average. We need to do all we can to keep improving these runs. The wild fish need lots of help.
Seven or eight locals bought spey rods this summer and we practiced every Monday evening. We slapped ourselves in the back of the head, punctured our waders and flung our hats out into the river. With help from this website, we slowly improved. Thank you Dana and all members who contribute the advice, the information and the inspiration we so sorely needed. We're looking forward to a class with Simon later this month.
More spey rodders are appearing up here. This week I met groups from Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. There is an inherent comradship between spey rodders and this ambiance is most welcome. The gooey goobers are asking "What kinda outfit is that thing?"
When I face my fish upstream and remove the constraining fly, I mutter " swim on, my friend, swim on, for you truly are a remarkable critter."
Again, a huge Thank You to all you guys!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i feel the same way, i tell people out on the boat,`think about it! these fish have been swimming up this river for centuries,in spite of man',makes you feel like you're giving something back,and you are!,plus the awareness of what's out there is priceless since most folks don't have a clue,,HATS OFF,:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Link,how close are you to the clearwater,the redshed,talking driving time???,sort of kinda' planning a trip ..but then i'm always planning a trip,,:hehe:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Salmon River, River of No Return, is the next drainage to the south of the Clearwater system. From the Clearwater one must drive east over Lolo Pass into Montana and then turn south, drive up the Bitteroot and back into Idaho, about four hours. The lower Salmon, the Riggins area, is south of Lewiston. Seperating the upper and lower Salmon is the River of No Return Wilderness Area, 100 miles of roadless refuge for the fish, accessible only by raft or jet boat.
The Fish Passage Center has the best info. for fish counts at the Columbia and Snake River Dams. Go to www.fpc.org/Index.htm. This morning it showed @35,000 fish the last week over Lower Granite, the last damn dam on the Snake. 175% of the ten year average and the third best year since 1974. Poppy, Junkyard Spey at the Red Shed, has his hand on the pulse of the Clearwater. For the upper Salmon, call the North Fork Store 208 865-2412.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Current count

As of 10/7/03 the Lower Granite count was almost 126,000 about twice the ten year average.

BC link ment 500-600 miles and some 8 dam crossings. yes they are some fish. They made it through some warm water this year and low flows. They are the survivors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts