Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you everyone that gave me some pointers.
This was fun, easy, and now my own wax.
next time I plan to visit a local bee farmer for the fresh wax, then maybe add some fresh pine pitch and oil.
Here is a puck that is the right consistency for me.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Wax

I broke up the rosin (it will shatter like glass), then sliced up some bees wax. The olive oil on the ready.
Used a fuel container that you see at a cheesy buffet table.
I found a shallow skillet at the thrift shop (3 bucks)
Dropped in a chunk of rosin and held the skillet with a silicone pad (handle gets hot)
On the ready was stir sticks from a local coffee shop this morning (need caffeine at 6am)
Stir very slow to avoid splashing, I wore gloves to protect against hot splashing.
A small sheet of tin foil and a silicone cup for cupcakes (found at any bakery / craft cooking store) close at hand.
Mixed the bees wax into the rosin at about 80 to 20%
a very small amount of oil, my guess was two drops.
Set the pan aside, (don't pour the contents yet) tested what's on the stir stick.
I then dropped in a little more wax (now it's 75 to 25% or a little more)
A drop more of oil, then another drop (after testing again)
Poured the contence into the silicon cup to rest for a few minuets before introducing the freezer for five minuets or so.
Done.
A lot of trial, kinda feeling it out: one knows what your looking for in a thread wax.
This is possible the best wax I have felt in my fingers. So now this has become something I plan to make again.

·
Administrator
19,089 Posts
That sample even looks proper !!
Very cool that you made your own , so cool :cool:

Next thing you know you'll be setting up a blast furnace and mining your own ore ... :chuckle::chuckle:
I'll go half's with you on the furnace :hihi::hihi:

Mike

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
So let see the recipe %'s were 75,25 and 4 drops of oil? I plan on doing this tonight.

My wife asked me can't you buy this crap for a tad more?:confused:

Sure but would not be as fun.

KC

I'm still working on my Dunt's, I'll be busy this weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Wax

apologies
I didn't expect much on the first run, so no real notes for a record. I figured it's a wax that works for what I like; personalized. Best advice is to use very little oil, and test it in your fingers. You will know what is dry, or maybe to tacky... then you can add a little of whatever is missing. I figured it's better to add vs. too much of one thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
apologies
I didn't expect much on the first run, so no real notes for a record. I figured it's a wax that works for what I like; personalized. Best advice is to use very little oil, and test it in your fingers. You will know what is dry, or maybe to tacky... then you can add a little of whatever is missing. I figured it's better to add vs. too much of one thing.
Also take into consideration when you cut a piece and apply to your hand or index finger while tying your body temp will soften it. Also tying lamps and climate in your state will effect it. These will all soften or harden your wax. I have a summer and a winter wax.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Well it took me three re-meltings but finally got exactly what I was looking for. It came out a nice light tan shade so it's perfect for all threads.

Now I have plenty of tying thread wax and ready to rock and roll on finishing my Dunt's which just need the wings to be complete.

All thanks for the information.

KC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts