Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a cost-no-object and high performance reel, which series is the best overall for reliability, performance and even "sex appeal"? Both the Waterworks ULA F3.5 and F4 as well as the Loop Evotech HD 9thirteen and 11fourteen can handle saltwater, and I am not considering the Loop Evotech LW series (already there). I would like to compare the smaller of the series for 13' rods to 9 weight and the larger for 14'+ rods. I've read the reviews and both have been highly reviewed--now I would like to ask what you would own and why.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
In the modern reel category they are both excellent reels but I consider my Loop Evotech HD the cream of my reel collection in this category because of my preference for it's aesthetics. For me they exhibit a combination of modern and classic lines that just works for me and so far there has been nothing to be desired functionally either - flawless. I have decided to purchase the 9-13 as well based on my 11-14's performance and looks.

The Waterworks drag is about the smoothest in the industry, I'd have to say a little smoother than the Loop drag with it's conical sealed design. If you like it's aesthetic better (since you mentioned it as criteria) it's a kick-butt reel as well and will stop a freight train as smooth as silk. The reels are very light as well, which counts over a long day of casting.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference in the aesthetics department both reels perform at the top of their respective games!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Is the Waterworks "sealed" drag the same as the Lamson? If so, then know that the seal isn't perfect, as Nrthfrk has pointed out in an earlier post and I can vouch for. Don't get me wrong--love the Lamsons, but after several dunks, water can get in the guts and they'll stick slightly on the startup. Now all this falls under the category, "problems of the rich," I realize. Anyway, _if_ the seal is the same, and all things remaining equal (except price), Loop. by the way, Lamson/Waterworks replace the guts readily I'm told.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
The Loop will take any sort of abuse you put it through, the Waterworks will not.

My Litespeed (same drag as Waterworks) has been back numerous time for repair (replacement of the guts) and within the past year and a half, I have sent numerous Evotecs on extreme fishing adventures all over the World and have yet to run into a single problem!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I've never had a problem with the Waterworks conical drag when used in freshwater, but after use in saltwater I suppose you could have an issue if immersed and the o-ring is not 100%. Best something to discuss with Waterwork, excellent service. I started to use a V4 in salt just recently, no performance problems detected yet but I should take a quick look in the drag assy to see how it's going.

I don't know whether the Loop HD drag is 100% sealed for SW come to think of it, but again have not had any problem after rigorous use in freshwater. The Loop 9-13 HD I am getting is destined to be "the" reel for my new demo Atlantis rod, used almost excusively in salt water and plan to fish it hard. I will know how it stands up soon.

I do take very good care of my SW reels, they get a thorough freshwater rinse every time out including the flyline and regular lube / cleanings as needed.

I'll let you know, and maybe others can chime in...

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Not a Waterworks expert but

There is an issue. Has to do with a slight rocking that can occur when retrieving under extreme load. Compresses one side, then the other of the O-ring and water could get in. And once water is in a "sealed" system, it stays in and starts to do what water does. Also you can lock water in when you change spools. They have tried to address the problem with a brass bushing. Haven't played with one that had the bushing yet... Still a great reel for spey applications where I personally wouldn't be changing spools on the water.

I'm still looking for a perfect reel for Grand Spey lines, and the waterworks is on the short list even with this issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a semi-related question. I just bought and Evotec HD on the secondary market. It came with a case, but no instructions. Can anyone explain how to get the spool off? Also, how do you convert it from left to right? Do I need any tools? Any help would be much appreciated.

J

·
0 Posts
I definitely would not attempt to convert it from RH to LH without some written instructions. I've done it several times and I still use an instruction manual while in the process. Also please note that the hub cap does not need to be removed in order to change spools. It only needs to be loosened. I've read many criticisms of the Evotec design by people who didn't like how many parts they end up when changing spools. If you do it right, you need to remove NO parts at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts