Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
btree
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's rained ~40mm (2" or so) in the last two days, and it's supposed to rain another 40-60mm (2-3") tomorrow. Had a peak at some hydrographs and rivers have doubled their height today.

Question is - do you fish or cut bait (so to speak - obviously no bait to cut...)

The hydrographs I've checked are for both large rivers with massive catchments, and small rivers that flash up as fast as they drop. It's an all out storm where I'm at.

The problem is, I only get to fish the weekends. Likely the rivers will be up 4-6ft from their low winter levels, may be more. I know that the fish are in, that's the problem. So I'll probably do a little driving and walking tomorrow, hoping to find a spot to make a cast or two.

How do you approach blown or nearly blown rivers?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was planning on going out tomorrow but I guess I will be tying instead. I have never had any success on a rising river but to be honest don't fish them much. Hopefully they will be coming down by the end of next week. At least there won't be too much melt this year.

·
btree
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, too bad no hockey or football on the TV. All my boxes are full from a lack of fishing so far, so in need of some action on the water. If I get real desperate, I might have to hit the salt... there's a bullhead with my name on it lurking out there somewhere;)

And ya, not much snow in the high country. Feeling sorry for the summer runs already :( Gonna be another low low loooooow summer. Scary low again.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Short cast on a seam line along the edges, the fish will be close and out of the heavy water along the shoreline in the slack water. I got one of my most memorable fish like this. Pretty much just had a weighted tip out.

·
btree
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya planning on leaving the long rod at home :p Switch rod, skagit short or possibly just running line and sink tip and something big and black or black/blue...

I always seem to see pics or hear stories of people catching fish in the trees, or very near the brush along the banks, so it's hard to stay home. At the very least I'll have the river(s) to myself.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Something else to consider...

That last statement in the previous post rings a bell. I have been involved in three river rescue situations, two of which were successful. All took place on rivers at high water levels. One thing to think about is that if you aren't sharing the water with anyone because of the conditions, it also means there is no-one else about to save your bacon if your bacon needs saving...

·
btree
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear ya loud and clear. While I have often been accused of aggressive wading, I pick my times, and tomorrow will not be one of those times.

I'm more curious about whether people find success fishing their regular runs but closer to shore on the inside seams, or is it better to fish frog water and side channels, or just fish any seam with reasonable currents or better visibility and less silt.

I figure fly selection gets pretty moot as long as it's big.

I've fished trout successfully during freshet by finding clean seams at creek mouths, and pounding the bank closest to me. But I've yet to pick up steel in similar conditions, probably because I stay home...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will fish on the initial rise while the color is still good. But once it's fully blown out I stay home and check it daily. It takes about two days on my home stream for the color to come back. Once the color is good AND I can wade safely I'm all over it. I have my best luck "on the drop". As mentioned previously.....inside seams and BBB (big, black and blue). Got in over my head twice last winter... so to speak. Just not worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On a couple of the island rivers I frequent there is the odd run that fishes better during high water/flood. I go straight to the spots with wide, long, relatively flat gravel bars. Im sure I pass by water that I shouldn't but most of it is very uncomfortable or dangerous to try and fish.:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Omg, I donot have many or fish red flys on the primarily clear water rivers I fish. Well will work on that this weekend. ;)
DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
all above is good advice

I have one more suggestion - use your least favorite flies - because you will not be fishing the bush line, you will be fishing the bushes. Unless rivers on the island are way different than local rivers in western Oregon, when in spate, the best water is IN the bushes. Also, don't use your heaviest leader material. Yes, you'll lose more flies but you won't break a rod or lose a shooting head trying to break off (voice of experience). Be safe. A nice long tying session might be a better use of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts