Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the Rio International Spey "BRO" video last night, man is Simon Gawesworth a great instructor, effortlessly skilled caster and seasoned fisherman. It's really quite an honor to have Rio recognize us with their support.

I found the video extremely useful, particularly Simon's explanation of the snake roll. I enjoyed the Skandinavian casting tips as well, the differences were very interesting.

Also got a kick out of the footage on the Upper Merrimac River, not too far from where I now live in the Northeast.

I came to realize once again just how much of a privilege it was to attend the Sandy River Spey Clave and hobnob with the likes of Simon and Andy from the UK; Dec, Ed Ward, K. Burkheimer, Steve Choate et. al. from our local homewaters, and of course all the great faces put to names for attendees.

Great stuff!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Juno re International Spey Casting

I was loaned this great video, thanks to Bob Pauli, a Spey Clave member and a friend.

As soon as I saw it, I ordered my own copy.

Simon makes the Double Spey Cast so simple and so easy. Forget all that stuff about mice/mouse/rats just watch Simon and use his system.

I'm having a little problem with his Snake Roll, but it is coming along.

Buy this video and throw the rest of them away or give them to people you don't like. That includes Rio's first Spey video. Also throw away the super confusing interbred booklet that comes with the Rio lines. There are two pages of value, the left bank and right bank page that Dana posted, and the Snake Roll page. Cut out those two pages and throw the booklet away. I wonder how many new people gave up Spey casting after trying to figure out how to do it from that terrible booklet that comes with the Rio Lines.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
GS, on the snake roll a suggestion on 'timing and an "oval."'

Very simple cast which will pull a lot of line out of the water as it 'corkscrews' towards you. The 'trick' is to hesitate (read that SLOW DOWN) a moment (you're watching the whole thing in front of you anyway) to assure the whole leader touchs down to provide the anchor BEFORE you make your forward wrist snap.

No anchor (as with most cast) the line will collaps about about 1/2-3/4's of it's length. The only other point, which Dana pointed out very well, in his Spey Pages, is the "o" at the top of the "number 9" your carving with the tip of your rod is oval in shape. Not sure why the mechanics but if you make a circle, busted cast. Make an "oval" and out she goes.
fe

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fred

Thanks for the feed back on the Snake Roll. I have been hurrying the last part of the cast and not paying that much attention to the leader.

Again, another example of how valuable this forum can be.

Thanks for the tips.

I have printed them out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have recently received the international spey casting video and felt it was helpful. But for my money, it does not come near to providing the understanding of the physics(for lack of a better word) that one needs to understand than Derek Brown's spey casting video. I learn something each time I view it. It's pure old school technique but what you need to know. I have taken two courses from him a few years ago which certainly helped. He needs a followup video on the snake and other types of casts which are not covered much in his first video. My only regret, sort of, is that my single-handed rods are gathering dust. But I am finding, as Derek does cover in the video, that many of the spey moves augment casting with the single-handed rod.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree Clydeo - I have the Derek Brown video and whenever I am trying to explain spey casting to a fellow angler who is getting started it's always the DB concepts that are the place to start. Together they are a good set - DB first, ISC second.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts