Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
registered text offender
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
will be visiting for the first time. could use some help with float and shuttle info etc. maybe a few stretches to at least begin to look for some walk in water also. thinking near the confluence ? any info at all would be appreciated. pm's would be understandable ;)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
What time frame are you going to be here, and what skill level of a rower are you?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think everything but the Skagit is closed after Feb. 15, so timing matters if you're considering another river system. I don't think there's any reliable shuttle service on the Skagit any longer, so meeting up with other floaters at the launches in the morning is an option.

I'll add a personal opinion about the Skagit. As of Feb. 1 it is open only from the Dalles bridge at Concrete to the Marblemount bridge. In the 10 mile Concrete to Rockport reach there are only 6 pieces of water that I care to fish, contrasted with quite a few more in former years. I have not yet fully explored from Rockport to Marblemount, so I can't report on the amount of prime fly water there currently. I fished the Sauk only a little and have found 3 good spots so far. I don't like being discouraging, but I don't think there's as much good fly water as there used to be.

·
registered text offender
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for the feedback. will be in rockport area late feb - mid march. my rowing skills are far more advanced than my boat (frameless pontoon) but I would avoid a wet ride in winter. I can however, read water and portage if poss. often, I'm just rowing across to access the other side if I can carry my boat to the water. can I safely leave my truck/camper unattended while i'm fishing ? is crime in the area as abundant as the rumors about it ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your probably in the middle of doing your trip to Rockport now. Hopefully you have not run into any trouble with vandalism. Growing up in that area and learning how to fish there, I never once gave vehicle break in's a second thought. However, I am disappointed to say that within the last two decades, things have changed drastically in this regard. While I don't know first hand about the recent crime, I have heard enough from friends who have been affected to sadly shake my head and come to terms with the way things are now. That said, the few times a year I still fish in that area, I do think about minimizing the potential for mischief to parked vehicles while fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts