Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys: I bought a blue-ear pheasant skin years ago. It smells like nicotene so I guess the guy smoked? What is the best way to wash these skins? Just hand wash in a basin with a gentle soap or ??? Appreciate any advice offered.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly very mild detergent and luke warm water lay it flat to dry on newspaper skin side down, when almost dry a hairdryer will help freshen it up. Do not pack it away until it is dry

·
Please don't stand behind
153 Posts
Coffee grounds also work great to rid the smell of cigarette smoke. Place them in a bag with the feathers overnight.

·
Dom
3,121 Posts
best way I find to store bep is to pick feathers out of the skin and clean them up by removing fluff. Basically prepping them to tie. Then throw then into warm water with few drops of mild dish soap. Rinse them well and store in zip lock bags. You can also separate them in large, med, and small for easier time on the tying bench.

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Some excellent ideas .... the coffee ground idea is a sure bet if your fishing for first morning light steelhead :hihi:

Non-scented wool-lite is easy on feathers . As mentioned ensure all feathers and skin are completely dry before packing them away . Never let the skin or feathers dry in the sun . It dries out the stems and makes them brittle .

Mike

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Man I was having one of those really bad days and I have to say Mikes comment made me piss my pants!:chuckle:

Laughter is truly the best medicine.:D

Quick soak in mild soap does the trick for sure.

Thanks Mike!!!!!

KC

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys. Appreciate all the feedback. This is my favourite fly tying site. Beautiful flies, great ideas and good advice. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts