Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Please bear with me, I'm stuck in New Jersey hundreds of miles from the nearest anadromous fish but I really, really want to use my spey rod. I've dabbled on the Salmon River in NY and watched a friend do some spey fishing on the Naknek but that's about it. However, the little taste that I've had has gotten me hooked.

So here's where I need your advice. I live in close proximity to the Delaware River which is known for its smallmouth, striper and shad fishery. I'm interested in learning techniques and hearing about flies that might work in a warmwater environment. I imagine the principles are the same but the tactics will need to be adjusted. I'm looking for moral support, resources and references to warmwater spey fishing if there are any out there. If anyone can point me in a direction I'd appreciate it.

It's going to be a long time before I can get back up to RapidsCamp in September.

Thanks,
Scratch

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"BS" (well, skip that set of initials.) You've

hit nirvana. Several board members are in your immediate area. You should get a ton of good advise for your area. I can tell you light spey rods for bass and shad are a great combo from my fishing days on the Russian River in Nor. Cal.

Key, for me, was full intermediate sinking lines. Same patterns as you'd use on a regular fly rod. 'Regular lines' are shorter than spey lines but found that you could use a floater, a sink tip, etc., and get 'jack' for the most part.

Put on my 'one-hander' reel with the intermediate sinker and immediately back in business.
Fred

·
Banned
103 Posts
Briarscratch - Contact Andrew at Tight Lines fly shop (North Jersey) and he can give you some direction with spey fishing in the Delaware; I believe that he has a couple of trips planned for the upcoming year on the river with this technique.

·
Registered
5 Posts
AH- The Nak !!

Have been to Jerry's bar many times. What, do you work there or you a client? Throwing loops out in the rapids for those big rainbows is one of the best things in life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips so far. I'll definitely look up Andrew at Tight Lines. Does Andrew offer any casting instruction? I need help.

Regarding the Nak, one of my best friends has been guiding out of King Salmon for the last 5 or so years. My wife and I have gone up to visit her a few times (on a low budget crash on her couch, pay for gas, drinks and groceries kind of deal). I love the Nak, I have a date to keep with a 30"+ rainbow one of of these Septembers...

Thanks for the tips, if any of you locals have some info I'd really like to hear from you. My email is jeffnbetsyATmindspring.com if you'd prefer to contact me off board.

This board rocks.

Scratch

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I have been talking with some local pro's about the Nor'easter Spey Clave for early-mid April. You could accelerate your learning curve dramatically by attending this event on a weekend currently planned to be in New Hampshire, but there is some flexibility to that depending on who wants to attend. There will be instructors available for this, and if there is any charge at all it will be to cover the expenses of people who are good enough to attend as instructors.

Tightlines (our new sponsor) is talking about a Delaware spey get-together as well, no definite plans yet but it sounds like a great way to mix some fishing and some casting in together.

On the salty side, there will be get-togethers to use double-handers in the surf and tiderips where easy casting for distance, handling of bigger flies and fish are the rule.

With today's low airfares why don't you consider attending the Kaufmanns' Spey Days in Seattle on Feb 14th-15th, or the Golden Gate Casting Club's big Spey-0-Rama in April, or the Great Lakes Spey Clave in Michigan on the Muskegon in March, Eastern Canadian Spey Clave in October on the Grand R, or the original biggie the Sandy River Spey Clave near Portland in May? You simply can't get a bigger injection of spey wisdom than you do when attending these big shindigs.

Good luck and welcome to the fraternity!

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Just a thought, but you are close beaches, bluefish and stripers. It isn't warm water, but it is a heck of a lot of fun. If I were looking to wet a line in Jersey, I would head to the Salt! Might not be your cup of tea though......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts