Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hopefully this isn't too off topic. But I'm going to be floating the D in my drift boat for the first time and I'm sure someone out there can tell me how the WS to TC stretch is. Everything I've read and watched in video online makes it look like cake. But I'm taking a brand new angler with me for an overnight float and wanted to be as prepared as possible. Plus he's never done a float before. Is there anything I need to look out for during the float or anything like that? I've been doing really well bank fishing in maupin and I just want to make sure he has a fun and safe trip for his first time out. Any help is so much appreciated. Thanks
Bryan

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
Warm Springs to Trout Creek is pretty benign. Not really long enough for a two dayer in my opinion but some good fishing and nothing to worry about boat wise.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
fun

That should be an easy, fun run with little to worry about. Dont for get your passes for the res. Good luck.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just watch out for rattle snakes. When I fished that stretch a bunch in the 80's and 90's they were thick. Other than that a great stretch of river this time of year.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Do not forget your toilet and do not camp on the Res, As someone said buy your res passes and read them as there is no fishing on the Res side above DryCreek. If you are going this weekend expect company as the boaters passes are sold out as of Saturday. The better camp sites would be Grassy camp or Stangland, Have a great time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok nice! I did get my boaters pass already. But do I need a res. pass if I stick to the one side? I'll probably get it just to be safe. But thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Remember that you can't land or fish on some of the islands (on the reservation side) even if you have a reservation permit. Lots of regulations, so read them when you buy your permits. Otherwise it's an easy float, like others said. Lots of people stretch it into two days although finding a space to camp right now might be a challenge with the salmonfly hatch still going on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I was reading about that. I'm gonna play it safe and stick to the blm side. As for camping we're going to float it for the day and then take out to find a spot. Might even drive up into maupin area for a site. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice Float

This is a great float with lots of water on both sides. Buying the Warm Springs permit allows you to fish below Dry Creek which is really not to far down from Mecca. Basically, when you see the white house on river right, you can fish the reservation side. The permit lets you fish other waters and currently you will be fighting to find a spot to fish so it provides some other opportunities. Most folks are trying to hit the Salmonfly hatch.

I like the river for two days as it is about 8 miles in length. You get about 5 miles down for the camp spots and then you can have a very long or short day the next.

There really isn't anything too big to worry about, but watch the bottoms of islands where the two currents rejoin. I have stuck a downstream oar not paying attention and that wasn't fun. Pay attention, respect the easy flows and you will have a great time.

DH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts