Thanks
Ken Campbell
Bigfork, Montana

·
Speysayer
254 Posts
Marquis #3

Ken,
You just missed one on ebay recently; keep your eyes open they do surface from time to time. I picked one up recently and they are well worth the search. It is one monster reel that has unbelievable backing/line capacity.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
They are wonderful old reels.....just something about them.

I have one with two spare spools ( not wanting to part with it)

Be prepared to spend a fair bit of cash on one.....last one I saw went for close to $600 in good condition.

They do become available once in a while...not as frequently as the Salmon No.2.

Good luck in your search.....when you find one hang onto it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The only problem area is...

...all Marquis reels including the Salmon sizes have a cast spool with a finger control outer lip. If you catch this lip against a rock -as has happened to me on two occassions - the spool being a brittle yet soft cast alloy can - and did - close against the frame-web areas. This will leave you with a jammed reel. (I tried to gently bend it back and the spool snapped.:mad:) I got rid of mine for this reason. But I used to fish some rough rocky rivers.

Otherwise they are excellent reels, but a 4.25" Perfect is far better and not much more expensive: get an original, not the newer replicas as they are not so well made.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Marquis Salmon #3 for sale

I must be crazy. Sure like to have one.

Thanks
Ken Campbell
Bigfork, Montana

caihlen,

I will have a Marquis Salmon #3 for sale.
I'm currently travelling home to Scotland from Finland today, so let me get home, get some pics, and I'll be in touch if you are still interested.

Drop me a PM to confirm.

Clydebuilt

·
Registered
359 Posts
Caihlen,

Just saw one on the uk big auction board....not trying to slip in on Clydebuilt's possible offer to you... but take a look
john

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow,

Thanks to all who replied! I'm on the hunt. It feels like this is one of those things in life where you identify something that fits into the overall picture of your Aesthetic.

Again, Thanks!!

Ken Campbell
Bigfork, Montana

·
Registered
385 Posts
or...

you can just get a Spey Company reel...same look and function, probably more durable also! I know, I know, it's not a Hardy, but it is a fine reel...get the River Spey if you need huge amounts of capacity. Almost buy 2 spey company reels for 1 Hardy...although you will need to add your own mojo!

-Zack

·
Registered
902 Posts
you can just get a Spey Company reel...same look and function, probably more durable also! I know, I know, it's not a Hardy, but it is a fine reel...get the River Spey if you need huge amounts of capacity. Almost buy 2 spey company reels for 1 Hardy...although you will need to add your own mojo!

-Zack
Hold on . . . an EMPTY River Spey reel is 1.5 oz heavier than one of my Salmon #3s FULLY LOADED with 200 yds of 30 lb and a full XLT 8/9 line. And I might just actually considering selling one of my Salmon #3s for $900!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Or you can wait for Hardy to release thier made in Korea Marquis salmon 1,2 and 3 at a affordable price. (some shops already have some in the UK) :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Or you could get a Spey Company reel and support something that is home grown in Wisconsin.... Hardy's are cool too, don't get me wrong. But the Spey Company seems to make some pretty nice stuff dedicated just to two handers. I don't have one yet, but I will. My buddy has one and it's butter!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Or you could get a Spey Company reel and support something that is home grown in Wisconsin.... Hardy's are cool too, don't get me wrong. But the Spey Company seems to make some pretty nice stuff dedicated just to two handers. I don't have one yet, but I will. My buddy has one and it's butter!

I agree the Spey company are excellent reels, they may feel a little heavey but once you have them on a rod they balance great. My Spey company Skagit reel Balances great with my sage Z 136 7 and My guideline lacie 137 8/9 . I had it for sale a few days ago :tsk_tsk: but now had a change of hearth . Thats 1 reel I'll never part with... ( Thanks Tim ) :devil:

Cheers
Frank

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks but....

I'd like to have the hardy to balance my 8150's and plus umm...I just want one!!

Thanks
kc

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,363 Posts
This is nothing bad against the Spey Company reels at all. They are great reels and I have become fond of mine in just a short time, However, they are not a Hardy replacement, they are their own beast. True, they are based on a Perfect but they are night and day away from a Marquis. If you want a Marquis, get a Marquis. If you want a Perfect, get a Perfect. If you want a Spey Company reel, get one. All are great choices and all different.

My two cents.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heh

I do deserve one! Thanks for that!!!

Ken Campbell
Bigfork, Montana

:Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have seen the new marquis's from Hardy and they look great ;). They are around the £200 brand new and the spoole are interchangeable with the old one's. Oh the ratchet...

Ryan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts