Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine got a copy of an old Hardy catalog. In it they listed a Hardy Favourite 20' 12 wt rod. I am interested in buying one. If anyone knows of or has one that they would be willing to part with please let me know.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
If you can't find a 20 footer for sale then I know my friend is selling his 18 ft Favourite [4 piece]; this is also a very powerful long casting rod.
Many years ago whilst full of bravado I bought a 20 ft Bruce & walker "walker" model, this was even more powerful than the Hardy & whilst it would pick up & fling the heaviest lines a long way, it came at a cost - I needed to rest every 40 minutes of so [& I routinely fished 16 ft # 11/12 wt Powerlites all day without breaking sweat]; so please bear this in mind if you actually want to fish with it seriously. However, if like me you just wanted it to wind your fishing buddies up then crack on - the look on someone's face who never uses more than a 13 ft 8 wt when you stick this monster in his hand is absolutely priceless, ideally you need some Masterline "heavyweight" [#13-15 rated] 40 yard Double Taper lines to go with it, digging the sinkers out of a deep slack just rounds off the whole experience really, although with a bit of practice it'll do it.
By comparison the 18 footer is pretty fishable, my pal who is selling his has used it for a an annual 2 week trip to the lower Tay for years, but the pools have partially gravelled up & he doesn't use the big sinkers anymore so it sits unused in the tube, hence his decision to sell it.
I hope your quest is successful, I got it out of my system but had plenty of fun with it along the way.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tyke. I'll definately keep this in mind. It's the closest thing to one I have found so far.
Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts