Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't tied flies in about 20 years- did trout flies at that time. I have recently been introduced to steelhead fishing with a DH rod and loved it. Now even doing a little DH rod stuff for trout.

I have a renzetti traveler vice ( 20years old) - will that be able to handle hook sizes for steelhead flies or should I plan on getting a different vice? I want to tie some of the more standard basic flies and tube flies.

Would also like some recommendations on some basic books I should get for tubes and basic steelhead stuff
Thanks Bigfoot

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
If you really love tubes, tie em, but shanks are much more pleasant to work with as a tier. That being said, your traveller will work on all but the very largest hooks.

there are many tube fly attachments on the market that make that part a cinch.

its so fun to catch chrome on your own fly!

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
4,040 Posts
Both of Shewy's Books

And you will be fine

·
Registered
361 Posts
And there are piles of excellent SBS and videos on the web. Check out Atlantic Salmon patterns as well. They catch steelhead too. Enjoy! Nb. Some of those excellent SBS instructions for steelhead flies are on this site. Search Fly tying and also the archives. Piles of really good information.

·
Dom
3,164 Posts
I recommend starting with tube flies. They are extremely effective, fun and easy to tie. Protube products are the best in the market. Learn to spin arctic fox and get creative! Youtube and speypages are your best friends.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Personal opin. here only. Only two books you really need.

"Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies" by Trey Combs. My copy is dated 1976. The other is "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" ... Ted Leeson/Jim Schollmeyer.

What ever you need is in one or the other.

·
Registered
254 Posts
No problem using the traveller for steelhead flys I have been for twenty years, lots of tying videos on the web and sites like this, wish they were around in 1980 when I started tying. I really donot even use the many steelhead fly tying books accumulated over the years.

Great hobby, has kept me out of the bars all these years, but the tying never ends.
;)
DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Steelhead Fly Tying Guide by H. Kent Helvie (ISBN: 1-878175-85-8) is an excellent reference. Most basic fundamentals are covered in seven concise chapters. The standard wet-fly, speys and dees, imitators and dries along with enough on classic salmon dressings to get you going on that also. The most basic of materials are explained and you will find plenty of patterns to choose from. I'd pass mine along but I refer to it far too often. It's an just immensely valuable source.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In case you love pontoons, wrap em, yet shanks are usually far more pleasurable to work with to be a rate. With that being said, your current passenger is fine upon almost the major tow hooks.there are many pipe take flight attachments available on the market that make which part a new easy.it is therefore enjoyable to be able to catch stainless- alone take flight!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've been using a Renzetti Traveller for 20 years. No problem tying steelhead flies with it.

For tying tubes I would recommend the HMH tube adapter. It fits well in the traveller's jaws. I've tried pins from a bunch of other makers the HMH just works best IMHO.

I've tyed shank flies using my traveller also with no problems. If you want to tye shanks a cheap way to start is buy some Dai-Riki long shank streamer hooks and cut the bend off when your done tying.

To start out get Poul Jorgensen's book Salmonflies and both of Shewy's books and get a copy of Dec and Marty's DVD on tying steelhead flies. They demonstrate all the techniques used in tying steelhead flies. Harry Lemire made 2 DVD's too. I would recommend getting both of them.

If you only buy one thing buy Dec and Marty's DVD. It's that good.

There are 100's of other great books on tying steelhead and salmon flies. You can get as many as you like. I've got a lot. You can never stop learning about this topic.

Finally, search this forum for SBS on tying flies. Marty has posted a lot of great instructions here. There are also great SBS for tying tubes and other petterns. I learned to tye tubes and shank flies from the SBS's of members of this forum. To whom I am forever grateful for their generosity.

Enjoy, it's a ton of fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts