Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out chasing steelhead in a local river recently with the two hander. And wouldnt you know it the walleyes were up in the river doing their thing. I didnt pay too much attention since in the spring there are a number of different species in the rivers do what they do this time of year. Suckers, Norther Pike, Muskies, Walleyes, Small Mouth bass etc.... However I was fishing with a fairly large Chartreuse and Black Skagit minnow and the walleyes took a serious liking to it. I managed to hook 5 and land 4 of them. No Chrome on this trip but plenty of action. Any else ever catch odd species on a fly while looking for Chrome?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey ChromeFever...

I managed to hook 5 and land 4 of them.
MMMMGood!

I caught a BIG smallmouth on a Green Butt Skunk two summers ago. On the Clearwater there is always the chance of getting a grab from "a damned ole squawfish".

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
We got several smallmouth out of the Ronde last year. A couple were taken on surface flies.

·
Registered
445 Posts
..........Chrome, a year ago Easter Sunday on the Muskegon, in the snow, I got a carp, a walleye, and finally a rainbow. It must be some kind of grand slam, but I could never figure what kind!

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I had a day on the White in west MI that I could not keep them off a yellow wooly bugger. It almost got annoying after a while, but a 12lb female on the end of you rod is always fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
incidental catches

I took a 30lbs fall chinook on a #4 Natural muddler fished damp on a swing,a four pound coho on a #6 riffle hitched steelhead caddis,Waking,while fishing for summer steelhead ,one Sept. afternoon on a SW Wa stream near my house. Strange afternoon! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bull Trout on the Ronde

About 15 years ago I was skating black bombers in Shadow and had picked up 3 fish. As it started to tail out I picked up another fish that didn't fight quit as good as the previous 3. When it came to hand it was a 23" bull trout. I pick up several smallmouth and an occasional whitefish on spey flies each year but hardly ever on traditional ties and I have picked up chinook, coho and SR Cutts on the Dean while steelhead fishing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
no, not me, our rivers are only full of big chromers. as they drop back to the lake they sometimes take on a "goldish" cast. :whoa:

Attachments

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
That is a close relative to the Golden Bonefish we have in the Western Wasington rivers. Highly prized by the few who know how to fish for them :razz:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Speak of the devil

I found this guy sitting behind one of my favorite rocks today. Looking for one final fix, water is 65F, put a fork in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts