·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never been about numbers but about the path and what fish mean to me. About tying flies, fishing with my dad, fishing with my buddies, being outside enjoying being outside, being up before first light, trying new things, sharing info with that select few friends, taking road trips, fishing close to home, etc. Honestly I think the thing that drives me the most nuts is when it is about numbers about. The last 10 years that has been the thing that has almost driven me away from the sport.

It will happen and you have to embrace the road because sometimes it is long and sometimes it is short. Some times it is long. But all the time the road is worth it and worth the journey.

JJ
http://cabinoneblog.wordpress.com/

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
road

I know all of us have had dry spells. My steelhead mentor Frank Cammack hauled me down to the N.U. in 1974 and it changed my life. I hooked two fish on that river, that day, primarily because Frank knew where they were and we hiked a good mile or two to get where others were not. (you'll likely guess the runs J.)On that same trip I met Frank and Jeanne Moore, who are actually the two nicest people on this planet.
I decided that I wanted then to learn the river myself, cause I wanted Frank to head out and do his own fishing. The next two seasons, I would leave work at about 4:30 make the 2 hour drive and just fish and camp out and come home on Sunday afternoon. I put in so much time without even a hook up (2 years). Then finally of course it did happen. But I learned two things during this time; one, that I did spend too much time away from my young family (one daughter talks about "Dad's Solo Trips" and I more or less regret that. and Two, that being on and in a river that has a wild steelhead run is an incredible experience. These fish are so wild, I'd spend time reading about their life cycle, heading as far as the Bering Sea and coming back to a spot just toward the end of my cast......
It's not about the numbers and those dry spells make hooking a fish special, at least that's what you have to tell yourself!
And I am not even talking about winter fishing!!
You'll have to post up when you get one hooked!!
Good luck
Loren

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Jeff:
I am also on a dry spell. No winter steel to hand yet. I've raised one to a skater last month, had a couple more grabs on wets on a dry line, and one hookup on a Winter's Hope on dry line. My friends fishing tips have been getting fish so my dry spell is a bit self-imposed due to my choice of methods (why would a guy want to make a tough game even tougher?????) and lack of skills.

Good read with your blog post, keep it up!

I also find having a blog to be a lot of fun. I tend to chronicle my fishing in emails to friends and in my journal, so the blog was a natural extension of that. I also enjoy photography so again, the blog is a way to make use of some of my photos.

Hope your dryspell will be soon interrupted by a rude YANK from a mean winter steelhead!

Best,
Todd

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,499 Posts
Or it could be because you suck as a fisherman :chuckle:

Just kidding buddy. I think it has more to do with my extended skunk rubbing off on you. I'm confidant though that our luck will change on the 20th.

Keep the faith!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It's just going to make the next one, when it comes, that much sweeter. Best of luck to you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts