Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FLGator sent me some terrific flies awhile back--some wakers tied on tubes. I finally got one of them wet yesterday. While I didn't hookup, I was pleased with how the fly looked on the water, and I fished with complete confidence.

The fly was a Disco Mouse variation. Without a hitch, it fished more like a muddler, but with the hitch, it made a heavier wake in heavy water, and a lighter wake in smooth water. Perfect! (And thanks again, Chris!) So I am now even more curious about tube flies, not having tied any myself.

Sticking to dries, who of you have fished dries on tubes? Patterns? Hitch or no? Do any of you use the hole in the bottom of the tube instead of a hitch? Do you see any benefits to a tube for a waker other than a probably improved ratio of landings to hookups?

--Bill

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I fish a Boob Tube pattern that Kush got me fishing some summers back. I love the way it wakes and it is unsinkable. Yes I do use the hole in the bottom method. I have never tried hitching them but suppose it might work.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I fish various patterns . . . similar to bombers, muddlers and a very small scottish (size 10) fly. I put my holes on each side of the tube . . . depending on which side of the river I'm fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
wrke,

I used to put the hole on either side of the tube as well. However, I found that the hole on the bottom works very well and I don't have to change the hookup when I switch sides of the river as the bottom hole wakes like mad from either side,

I will post a photo of the Boob Tube when I get home.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here is a purple version of the Boob Tube. I also tie it with natural deer hair as well as with yellow foam eyes.

Oneof the big advantages is the ability to use a relatively small hook and the wide gape it provides for positive hook-ups.

Attachments

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
with the big, um, 'eyes' on there, it really looks like a fly (dipteran)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Kush,
I like it! Great idea that truly looks unsinkable. Thanks for sharing.

I've been tying a few dry patterns on tubes and Waddington's on my quest for the ultimate skater. Looking forward to some feedback from the fish as well as a couple of the anglers I've sent prototypes too.

SparshairHackle's skater is also one that looks very fish and fisherman friendly. I'm really excited to try his patterns this Summer/Fall.

Can't wait!

Chris

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
yup - standard "spaghetti tubing" brake line.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I tied many many tube wakers last year before my trip to BC . ..I was encouraged to pursue them by a friend who had shown me his waking tube flies while on the Rio Grande a few years ago.......he uses the same flies in BC with good results(assuming right water etc). I tied everything you could imagine . ... some of the Boob flies , tube versions of the tom thumb , and just standard dry patterns on tubes...some were very small(8's, 10's)) in anticiaption of very low water etc. As it turned out the low water did not exist, and the larger patterns in 4 and 6 worked fine...they work, and small hole in the bottom of the tube is workable, although I am not sure it is superior to the hitch. The location of the hole is a tricky item..as a rule I would say the smaller and lighter the fly, the closer to the end of the tube for the hole placement. If the hole is too far back on the light flies they do not swim correctly for me. I experimented with lighter tippets and that has a bearing too....but I am not a fan of going to light on the tippets generally for steelhead.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What kind of foam?

Kush, what kind of foam was that for the boobies? (huh, huh, huh... He said boobies!) And do you also fish that fly with a hole out the bottom of the tube, or just "normal" since it'll obviously float?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Rob,

I use the foam sticks that you get in fly shops - the same one that is split and used for the back of "Foamer-type" flies. I use the 3/8" sticks.

I use the hole in the bottom, though it wakes very well without it. The way it cocks the fly up makes for such a cool wake that I always do it.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Rob,

I think Kush missed the second question in your post. Yes, the hole in the bottom is used on the Boob Tube. I have fished it with and without and find it has a lot more action when the tippet comes from the bottom.

sinktip

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ha - I was answering the second part as an edit - and actually had to work for a while :rolleyes: - so it sat there on edit while I described the Battle of the Atlantic to my class.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
My sincere apologies fellow moderator for jumping in and answering for you.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That's okay, you probably fish them more than I do anyway! :D

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
FLGator said:
SparshairHackle's skater is also one that looks very fish and fisherman friendly. I'm really excited to try his patterns this Summer/Fall.
they're quite good, and I just hit the motherlode - thanks Bill!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everybody for your replies.

Just one question for you boob tubers and the like...

Is foam good enough for steelhead? :lildevl:

All those beautiful Spey and Dee flies--and even the complicated intruders--for sunk flies, but you use plastic and foam on the surface? :tsk_tsk:

You don't even have to worry about losing flies on the surface, so you can use something a bit more upscale than foam!!! :D

Seriously, look forward to seeing many of you at the Sandy Clave.

--Bill

1 - 20 of 28 Posts