Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other; please post

Votes: 54 38.6%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what folks are using for a wading staff. (Assume that grabbing a stick from shore isn't an option.)

Some that I've researched; Simms, Orvis, Folstaff, Fishpond

Likes or dislikes and would you buy it again? I'm not opposed to spending a Franklin on it as long as it lasts.

(with a poll)

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
An old Chouinard extendible ski pole, attached by way of bungee cord. I can either throw it over my right shoulder (cross chest), or just let it drag. Sometimes, I'll click it to the magnet attached to the X in the back of my wader suspenders.

Sometimes, I'll just grab a long enough stick streamside, and make do.

·
Administrator
19,122 Posts
My vote goes to the Folstaff.
Very stable, no wobble like some other brands on the poll list :hihi:
It folds up nicely into the holster and the lanyard is a perfect length to tie off to my wading belt while at rest or in use. Actually has a hard time coming apart to fold away, but a quick tap on a rock and it can be pulled apart without struggle. It also comes in big boy size - 58" tall.
I never go to the river without it :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't carry a wading staff, but the new Simms one feels pretty sturdy. If I come to water that looks sketchy, I usually just grab a beefy stick, pull the Mora off my belt and sharpen it up a bit. The best impromptu wading staff I've ever used was a six foot piece of 1-1/4" steel pipe that I found on the bank of the river, plenty of ballast to help keep me planted when the water came up a foot while I was up river and plenty strong to support my 260ish pounds when I leaned on it

·
Registered
73 Posts
wading staffs

I have made several, they are quite easy to make, My favorite is from the upper part of a past Xmas tree. I like solid wood but light weight. You have to fish with them for a while to figure out which shoulder, depending on currents.that keeps the staff pinned to you. I think most people attach them to their waist. I use a sliding ring on a valcro strap that keeps my wader suspenders from falling off my shoulders. For me a little shorter is better I have tried both. At 72, a staff is not an option, I find it many time more useful going down or coming up steep rocky banks. You can add a removable or retractable hook on one end to lower you down or pull you back up a slippery bank. Ya they take a while to get use to, but if you stay with it, you wont leave home with out it. slack

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
Wading Staff

I have a Speyco aluminum one piece and a collapsible Simms. The Speyco would be for tougher wading and the Simms for most anything else. I don't use either that much but have them if I do find the need.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used the Simms one that collapses into a holster and have for the past couple seasons. I only carry on a couple summer rivers I fish and then only use it on certain runs. It has worked very well for me so far.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Homemade

My wading staff was made from a piece of spar varnished 1" mahogany rod, a bike grip for the handle, a crutch tip on the foot, and a parachute cord lanyard. Mine floats.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You want a pound (give or take) of lead sheeting on the bottom of that.

My wading staff was made from a piece of spar varnished 1" mahogany rod, a bike grip for the handle, a crutch tip on the foot, and a parachute cord lanyard. Mine floats.
Just my .02 cents but you want the working end of your staff anchored on the bottom of the river. Float away, if you're old like me, is not something you want.

fae

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I wade it is always with the aid of a wading stick. Mine is split cane which was made by Sharpes of Aberdeen several decades ago. It is a good friend and has saved me many times😗. I have a similar spare😊

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have been using a "Sharpes of Alberdeen" wading staff for the past 5 years that I bought at the Red Shed from Poppy. Its a solid one piece with weighted lower end. Solid as a rock!

I made a harness for it from a Cabela's wading belt, a 15" dog leash and a couple of universal swivels. Sling it over my shoulder and carry it always at the ready!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Excellnt, excellent, excellent.

I have been using a "Sharpes of Alberdeen" wading staff for the past 5 years that I bought at the Red Shed from Poppy. Its a solid one piece with weighted lower end. Solid as a rock!

I made a harness for it from a Cabela's wading belt, a 15" dog leash and a couple of universal swivels. Sling it over my shoulder and carry it always at the ready!
A one piece solid staff is what you want/need. The weighted end is what's going to save your butt when 'push comes to shove.' Couple I times I was hanging on for dear life; turning around to get out of swift current (I was only up to my knees) can take some serious thinking.

fae

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
333 Posts
Staff

130 lb class fiberglass trolling blank that I cut the tip off of and installed a foam grip. A piece of aluminum tube press fitted to the bottom grips rocks well. The length is such that my hand at the very top end will be just below my wader tops. If my hand gets wet it is too deep to wade and keep dry.

I don't worry about deep wading any longer since my wading have deteriorated with age. Knee deep is about my limit any more.

Jerry

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sharps is a heavy beast and you will go through the crutch tips for it at a good pace...always keep some spares on hand. I don't like the lanyard for this staff combined with the heavy lead in the shaft end which keeps it down. IF you do go in a spot where the current might carry you a good clip AND the staff hangs up you are IN SERIOUS danger of drowning. Hadn't thought of that point until a Spey Ghillie pointed it out when they lost an angler due to this very scenario. So that's me done with the Sharps and back on the Folstaff. You at least stand a better chance of getting out since the staff is less likely to get hung up, it will bend and you do have better odds of releasing your wading belt in a worst case scenario.

Be prepared the Folstaff rubber bungee (that holds it all together) wears out. And my shoulder thanks me every day I don't use the Sharpes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My wading sticks, I have three are cross country ski poles 56"long. Two are carbon fiber, one is aluminum. All have the bungee cords attached and a loop that slides over the buckle on my waders. One stays in my truck at all times. The other two are in the boat. That way I never forget one. All have a hard metal point that I can jam between rocks.

All three float

I am old and my balance is crap so I never go without one and I use it every step I take.

Skilly

·
JD
3,612 Posts
My first wading staff was one of those fancy telescoping staffs. A multi purpose hiking, camera mono pod, wading staff. The first time I had that thing in waist deep water of significant speed, it was vibrating like it was singing to me. I now use a one piece solid wood staff. I fabricated an over the shoulder strap from 1" wide stuff I got from REI or somewhere, snap swivel from hardware store, attached @ top dead center. (learned that the hard way) I've worked with both weighted & unweighted tips. I much prefer the latter. Went for an accidental swim a couple years ago. The wading staff floated the entire 200 yards or so right along with me. That staff has been from Alaska to Terra Del Fuego, no problem. A mixture of linseed oil & stain every couple years keeps it looking good & from drying out & splitting.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts