Spey Pages banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
19,827 Posts
Here´s pic of mine:D
Been with me more than thirty years. Old Hardy oil skin jacket. Keep the rain out maybe 40 seconds, but it is warm, you can sit on it, sleep on it and when you are by the camp fire dont have to worry about the sparkling, and when I wear it I feel like a "Real Salmon Fisher":):)
On a rainy days it is better to have Gore tex...

View attachment 388793
I always liked the look of these, never did buy one though. Hardy never made my size :(
I did own a Barbour wading jacket and a Game Cloth. Both were wax cotton and required wax applications every second season.
I gave them away after a few seasons, I grew tired of the weight and the smell from the wax.
Can't beat the looks though.

Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Isn’t Simms no longer using “Gortex”. Haven’t they also started using there own material?
Ya, I have had the Simms and Patagonia Jackets in the past and they are great, but quite the investment these days. I bought a Redington Wayward guide jacket two years ago for just under $200 and it has been fantastic. Very waterproof and breathable as well as very tough and durable. It is not a light weight jacket, it is pretty thick material, about as thick as waders..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh boy, I hear all of you. When I was a Thoroughbred breeder and trainer in Upstate NY I thought I could handle all the cold weather, but it finally broke me down. Fishing was fun in the cold, foaling mares with your sleeves bare so you could go into a mare and check how the foal was positioned before birth in below 0 degrees at 2am became onerous. I sold the farm after the wife passed, and moved to the Keys. I’m never going to see snow again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all of these replies. I almost got the Patagonia River Salt, but the cuffs being unprotected was really irking me. Now that you guys have educated me on the Dryft jackets, they should fit the ticket perfectly. Hopefully someday Patagonia either designs their jackets with neoprene undercuffs, or protective sleeves over the Velcro.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts