Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t get me wrong. I have owns several sets of Simms waders,jackets, boots shirts and various clothing over the years. And I have been a big supporter of there equipment and Company.

One thing I have noticed is that every years they seem to remove little extras from there wading Jackets. Like pockets or the price goes up.

I’m now at the place where I need to replace my wading Jacket. In years past I would of gone to my local fly shop and just bought a Guide, G3 or G4. I’m now considering the Loop Toren. There is no local fly shop that carries these jackets so it would have to be ordered.

Just curious if anyone here has any on hands experience with this jacket. And what are their thoughts. Not ready to rule out Simms. Any comparison would be great.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
724 Posts
Don’t get me wrong. I have owns several sets of Simms waders,jackets, boots shirts and various clothing over the years. And I have been a big supporter of there equipment and Company.

One thing I have noticed is that every years they seem to remove little extras from there wading Jackets. Like pockets or the price goes up.

I’m now at the place where I need to replace my wading Jacket. In years past I would of gone to my local fly shop and just bought a Guide, G3 or G4. I’m now considering the Loop Toren. There is no local fly shop that carries these jackets so it would have to be ordered.

Just curious if anyone here has any on hands experience with this jacket. And what are their thoughts. Not ready to rule out Simms. Any comparison would be great.
I would recommend Patagonia or Guideline. The Patagonia is a lighter rain jacket for late spring, summer, and early fall conditions. I’m wearing the Guideline Alta here at the Restigouche River Lodge as we close up the camp and put the finishing touches to an ATV and pedestrian bridge. This is a heavier jacket that is ideal for late season salmon and winter steelheading.
Regards from Mann’s Mountain NB.....Jim
Cloud Sky Water Ecoregion Natural landscape

PS....I almost had an epic photo two minutes ago. I had just taken this photo and a 25 lb + silver hen rolled ten feet off the rock point here in the bottom left of the scene. We still have salmon from the fall run entering the river to spawn in the gravel bars here at the top of Home Pool. End of season Salmon watching is as fascinating as angling for them.

·
Registered
Winston Trout Rods, Sage and Burkie Steelhead Rods, Abel, Orvis, Tibor and Islander reels.
205 Posts

Lyft is making what appear to be very nice Jackets as well. They appear to be coming upmarket pretty fast.

·
Registered
880 Posts
He meant Dryft. Been shopping all the brands I could find for a high-end insulated to fill in for my older model Bulkley, and all I'm leaning towards is another Bulkley.
Looked at LOOP, Redington, Patagucci, Orvis, Aftco, Dryft, guideline, scierra, Vision, and others.
The high-end models are usually shell only and my goodness the prices are through the roof!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I’m getting ready to order my second pair of Dryft zippered waders. I have had the first pair for 4 years and still love them. I am going to leave them at the lodge in Tierra Del Fuego with the boots that are already there. I have had no issues with them whatsoever. Based on my experience I would not hesitate to buy their rain jacket. However, I have also had a Bulkley jacket for the last 5 years. By far the best I have owned. Not really suitable for anything but cold temperatures though.
Dryft is having a sale right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
I recently purchased the Simms Bulkley jacket and have to say I love it! The beauty is it’s both insulation and a wind proof/water proof shell. I always felt so bulky and uncomfortable when I wore a traditional wading jacket over an insulated jacket. I spent today swinging flies in a steady rain and stayed completely warm and dry. Great product.

Jake

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here´s pic of mine:D
Been with me more than thirty years. Old Hardy oil skin jacket. Keep the rain out maybe 40 seconds, but it is warm, you can sit on it, sleep on it and when you are by the camp fire dont have to worry about the sparkling, and when I wear it I feel like a "Real Salmon Fisher":):)
On a rainy days it is better to have Gore tex...

Military camouflage Sleeve Luggage and bags Military uniform Motor vehicle

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,703 Posts
I have to mention Dryft as well. Although not an insulated jacket it's great quality none the less. The service can't be beat either.

·
Administrator
19,826 Posts
I've had a Vision Vene wading jacket now for 3 years, the red plaid version. I am extremely happy with it.
Great breath-ability, wind protection and keeps me dry in down pours.
Love the collar fleece and the fact the hood isn't strangling when I have a hat on and it doesn't feel like I have a tent over my head either (fully adjustable).
Good room in the shoulders and elbows so there's no restrictions. I can pass earphones through the front pocket if I wanted too, but I prefer to hear the sounds of the river instead.
It also came with a glasses wipe on a tether in the front chest pocket that I find very handy.
Everything about this jacket is quality, my favorite so far.

Mike

·
Registered
635 Posts
Find a Simms slick jacket... best jacket they ever made

I have always stuck with SIMMS goretex jackets... they are just better

I tried a few other brands with their own materials/generic materials and they just don't compare. Not sure why. Non-goretex waders have been great, but something about the goretex jackets is just better...

breathability, waterproofness, movement, feel, durability

·
Registered
880 Posts
I also have the Slick and it's a great shell to be sure, but the collar is huge and when unzipped and not needed, it flops around a lot. Also, the material has a serious swish factor, makes that friction noise with every movement. But in a downpour, its excellent!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bought a wading jacket on Amazon a few months ago made by BARE. Canadian company that makes scuba diving gear. It looks well made, 3 layer breathable/waterproof fabric, taped seams, quality components and smart design features like neoprene cuffs. Amazon only had the men's jacket in one size and the price suggests they're being discontinued. I've worn it fishing at most 10 days but so far am absolutely pleased with it.

I agree with the other replies regarding Dryft gear. It's excellent stuff and good value.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When it’s raining .5 inch to 1.5 inches my Simms G3 keeps me dry every time and it’s at least 10yrs old.
If you are looking for something different that Simms, I would look for a jacket that uses Gortex technology. I know Sitka and Outdoor Research use Gortex in some of their jackets.
Cost might be higher but you will stay dry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts