Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new to the Spey pages. I am interested in buying a wading jacket and had in mind either a Simms original or G3 or a Bare. Does anyone have any comment on either of these Jackets either pro or cons. Do you think the extra price for the G3 is worth it?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Patagonia

is also a good option for a wading jacket. I have used the light version hard for several years with complete satisfaction.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Patagonia SST is all and more wading jacket than you'll ever need brotha'

·
Registered
271 Posts
My SST's been flawless for 3 or 4 yrs now and even very functional to wear in other conditions. I think it's very hard to go wrong with simms or pataguchi, both have some awesome products and from what I've heard they back them up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied to my Question. I will now research the Patagonia option also. Those of you who own one seem very pleased with this product. Unfortunatelly no one with a Simms jacket replied so far.
A340

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've worn the G3 jacket for the past 2 years. Absolutely love it. Bombproof in the wind and sleet with a great hood. Watertight cuffs, two nice big pockets in the front for my C&F waterproof boxes, and the two front hangers are very functional (clippers and hemostats). The cut is done in a way as to not inhibit any movement issues. Having said all that the jacket better be great as the price ain't cheap! :Eyecrazy:

Hope that helps,
Preston

·
Registered
72 Posts
Simms G3

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the G3 a couple months ago. I debated over the Classic Guide Model and the G3... finally went with the G3 because of the slim, streamlined cuffs. I've had several good wading jackets that were similar in design to the Guide Model, but the thing I hated was the big bulky cuffs and velcro straps.

So far no complaints, I love the freedom of movement with this jacket compared with ones I've used before.

I wore it on a week long trip to Kodiak Island this September and it performed well. However I will say that on one day, after 4 hours of hard rain blowing sideways, some moisture did finally penetrate the outer layer and the inside of the pockets got wet. But I'm not sure that any of the high tech "breathable" fabrics would have stopped the weather that we were in that day.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I still have the Simms original Guide model (forest green) and it is over 10 years old and keeps me dry in down pours.

It is getting time to send it back and have the seams resealed

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, here are a couple considerations for you to mull over...Patagonia will replace any piece of equipment, no questions asked. Their deep wading jacket is far lighter (packs like a windshirt) than the G3 and far cheaper. Several yrs on mine in harsh conditions with no problems.
The G3, being a little heavier, is probably warmer. Niagara winters? I've heard no complaints about the G3 except price.

J

·
0 Posts
My SIMMS classic guide is still bulletproof after 8 years of abuse:cool:
Same jacket and same result for me. And that includes two weeks in Alaska every September where it can really rain hard. I'd buy this one again over the G3 primarily because I prefer good zippers with storm flaps over the waterproof zippers on the G3. They're just far easier to use. I agree the cuffs on the G3 are nicer, but I just don't mind the ones on the Guide Jacket. I got mine in 2000, I think, and even wear it for everyday wear in rainy weather so it's gotten a lot of use.

·
Registered
329 Posts
One more thing to consider (well for me anyway) is that Patagonia donate 1% of their gross income every year to better the environment and that they work towards incorporating more environmentally friendly products in their lineup.
Maybe Simms does that too, I don´t no.

Besides the "green mumbo jumbo stuff" the SST is an awesome jacket! I´ve had mine for 8 years and it´s been through some rough times, but it´s still flawless!!
/Ahlbin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a vote for the G3. I fished today in a downpour. Some guys even drove by and stopped to talk. They told me I was "friggin' crazy" for fishing in this stuff. At the end of the day I was bone dry thanks to the G3...and the money I spent!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I had a bare kodiak, it was super heavy and one hot mother when your walking...first good downpour I fished in it leaked...That one is gone
I have a classic guide and a G3, I gotta say I LOVE the G3, lighter, the water beads off it, cuffs are outstanding and good pockets...
Classic gets a little heavy when wet and the while the zipper is easier to use I always have water down my front in a V.
I also like the hood better on the G3, so I am very happy with it...
Have only heard good things as well about the patagonia sst but have never seen anyone around here stock um so haven't had a chance to try one out!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
I have the G3 jacket and love it. The only concern is that the sleeves taper to the cuffs and can be a bit tight on the clothing underneath. Has anyone else experienced this?

Although the medium jacket would have been ok size wise, I had to buy the large as it was very difficult to get my hand through the cuff on the medium.

Regards,
Clobemonman.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One more vote for patagonia

I have their deep wading jacket and love it. It's very flexible, dry as a bone, and considerable cheaper than the Simms. (At least it was when i bought it). With proper layering underneath, you stay plenty warm. Plus, their customer service is second to none.

kevin

·
Banned
974 Posts
We have two Patagonia Deep Wading Jackets, one old and one a couple years old. We fish them in rain & snow. I particularly like the shortness of the jacket for wading.

- David

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I purchased the Simms G3 because of the clean front on the jacket. No storm flap, now bulky bellows pockets, the best cuff system available and the ability to carry everything I need for a day of winter steelheading and still have plenty of space to use a two hand rod. This is the fourth winter season on this particular jacket and it has proven to keep you perfectly dry and "feeling" dry under all conditions. I now have over 150 days in it and it is like new. The cuffs allow you to reach into the water to your arm pits and not get a single drop of moisture inside the jacket. The synthetic mole skin color lining removes the feeling you have a leaking neck area when in fact it is body moisture from your neck condensing on the inside of the jacket. The zippers have all be water tight for me under all conditions in the PNW. The cut in the shoulders allows for arm movement of any kind you need to cast with no sense of restriction at all and the hood and neck design allow you to turn your head and not be looking at the inside of the hood. It is the proper length to let you wear a fanny pack and actually use it without having to unzip the jacket.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts