Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out in the cold winter months the last few years and have been battling the cold foot problems. I wear size 12 shoes but even at size 13 I find the boots are not deep enough or wide enough. By the time I get on some wool socks over my thin socks the pressure is on. It's not the length of the boot but more the pressure on top of the boot. Has anyone found a bigger fitting boot or had the boots kinda punched out like with skates? Thanks for any input

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Google the Korker's fishing boots.

I've been out in the cold winter months the last few years and have been battling the cold foot problems. I wear size 12 shoes but even at size 13 I find the boots are not deep enough or wide enough. By the time I get on some wool socks over my thin socks the pressure is on. It's not the length of the boot but more the pressure on top of the boot. Has anyone found a bigger fitting boot or had the boots kinda punched out like with skates? Thanks for any input

sent from the North Pole
They make them up a size 15 if memory serves.

fae

·
Registered
85 Posts
For cold feet, boot foot waders can't be beat. I have a pair of Simms last generation boot foots and my feet stay warm in the coldest of water temperatures.

·
Registered
741 Posts

sent from the North Pole
Ed. Speaking as someone who suffers from cold feet... You gotta just bite the bullet and get yourself a pair of bootfoot waders. Got the Simms G3 bootfoot last year and haven't had a bout of cold feet winter steelheading since. Still use my stocking foot waders for spring/fall fishing to minimize wear on the aforementioned.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Try this...minimal investment, maybe big returns...go lighter.

That's right, look for a thin sock--a base layer sock in merino wool, and silk or some such.

I had the same problem except I am a size seven. Buying a size nine Simms left me with cold feel...bad.

One of the guys at the fly shop suggested leaving the heavy wool socks at home. He explained it this way...by the time you get all that extra in the boots your blood circulation is cut off. And that makes more difference than the extra insulation gained buy the wool socks. So, I thought I'd give it a try and it worked. More room in the boots, more blood flow, maybe even enough air to create insulation all by itself. I don't have problems with cold feet anymore. Still dislike the rigidity of the Simms and the way the inside of the boot is contoured upward, but my feet are happier.

·
Registered
153 Posts

sent from the North Pole
I use a product called Banama Socketts These are the best thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned. They wick the moisture away from your feet and they are thick enough for good insulating value. One pair wool socks and the socketts I get them a work wear world. Good product. I wear my wading shoes two sizes bigger than my shoe size this leaves lots of room for the socketts and my toes to wiggle.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Boot foots

G3 boot foots 2 sizes larger and Simms extreme wading socks, 2 pair if you'd like! Problem solved!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use a product called Banama Socketts These are the best thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned. They wick the moisture away from your feet and they are thick enough for good insulating value. One pair wool socks and the socketts I get them a work wear world. Good product. I wear my wading shoes two sizes bigger than my shoe size this leaves lots of room for the socketts and my toes to wiggle.
I use the sockets in my XTRA TUFF rubber fishing boots, they are right on the money!

·
Steelhead junkie
347 Posts
Do you guys have a link for the banana sockets? I did a google search and all that came back was electronic plugs.

Thanks.

BTW - I second the Simms G3 bootfoots. Bought them last year and love them. Went one size up form street shoe, wish I had gone two up.

·
Registered
153 Posts

sent from the North Pole
As someone with a high instep, and wide foot, I feel your pain. Buying bigger doesn't always solve the problem, and creates new ones. I have a very hard time finding hiking boots that fit, but luckily, comfortable wading boots are a bit easier. Right now, I'm using Simms Headwater boots. They don't put pressure on the top of my foot, and the toe box is wide enough to fit somewhat thick socks. I normally wear a 10-ish shoe/boot, and 11s in the Headwaters. I can't wear extra thick socks, or two pairs, without some tightness. If I do a lot of walking I will have some discomfort. Simms has discontinued the boots, but some sizes are still available. I'll likely buy another pair of 11s, and possibly one size larger for winter wading. FYI, I don't fish freezing temps very often.

briansII

·
Registered
328 Posts
Patagonia rock grip have proved the ticket for me at a half size up. Allows for a heavy sock or even two pairs on especially cold days(gone to almost exclusively under armour heavy sock this winter). Roomier than any other boot I've worn and a new level of confidence wading. Last years model is cheap on STP, you can get them under $100.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Patagonia rock grip have proved the ticket for me at a half size up. Allows for a heavy sock or even two pairs on especially cold days(gone to almost exclusively under armour heavy sock this winter). Roomier than any other boot I've worn and a new level of confidence wading. Last years model is cheap on STP, you can get them under $100.
What is STP?

·
Registered
485 Posts
To the OP's original question..

Ed,what are the chances that YOUR CIRCULATION is slowing down? Cold or numbness in any of your fingertips? Maybe just once in a while? Maybe you are in fairly good shape and workout on a regular basis? It's possible that you are a candidate for heart related issues. I'm not trying to scare the hell out of you but you may want to check it out.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help fellas, may have a look at the socks or boot foot waders. As for the heart trouble, I hope not☺ I actual just changed my life around, got sick of being overweight. I got down 30 lbs last year but xmas put a screw into that. I'm back into a diet and exercise routine but still only 210 at 6'1". I actually went to the doc and had a full check over after my daughter was born, few years back. However, at 38 I feel OK. Those socks look odd but will giver a chance

sent from the North Pole

1 - 20 of 21 Posts