Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some input on wading boots. I ordered these new boots from Bite. The Metalist, they look ok but they don't have felt soles on them, they do have metal spikes, like the ones on golf shoes. My concern is that will I have suffecient traction with these. Has anyone tried these out yet or does felt really make that much of a difference.

Need to know soon, maybe I can cancel my order or change to the felt bottom ones.

thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
I fish Nevada, California and Oregon. I wouldn't fish without felt. In California and Oregon, I wouldn't fish some rivers without felt and really good spikes. My favorite boot is the Chota with replaceable studs. However when I fish in bedrock rivers, like the Umpqua, I use my old Simms boots with felt and Corker Spikes. Even then m you have to be super careful.
If you have algae in the water, and you're not always wading in gravel, in my opinion, you should have felt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought, since my budget limits me to having one or the other, I guess I should have felt bottoms right? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
2 cents here only but Nevada Caster gets my vote.

It's been 10 or more years since I've fished in Nevada, but he's on the mark vis a vis Calif and Oregon (especially southern Oregon) river bottoms.

One other choice to consider (for just felt bottom boots) is are 'Stream Cleats" which are an 'over shoe' type boot. Alum. bars on the bottom so they're 'sticky' as all heck on rock, slime, etc. Only thing you have to remember to do is pull them off after fishing to allow your boot to properly dry. Didn't do this once and found out the 'retained' water rotted out the stitching. Bottoms fell right off my boots.

Gave Nate Bailey quite a laugh to see me floundering around for half the day ....
fae

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it's not too late to cancel your order, consider Korker's new boot that features interchangeable soles, $130.00 comes with three soles (not sure which ones) and two other optional. They cover all situations. Slick idea. sorry, bad pun. Interchangeable soles slide into slots front and sides and fasten via ankle loop and velcro at the heel. I would buy a pair, but I already have all the boots I need for all situations for now. I've seen them in person and advertised in magazines.

ADP <")))><

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ya I saw those boots in the magazine, I'm going to call the guy on Monday, he was suppose to call me and with trout season opening here in 2 weeks, I need boots! thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts