Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I'm planning a backpacking trip into some remote water that will require a 6 to 10 mile hike while wearing a pack with 4 days worth of supplies. I am wanting a pair of wading boots that I can wear on the hike in rather than packing them.

Would love some advice from anyone who has made that kind of trip in wading boots.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Simms Vapor boot was designed specifically for the scenario you've described. Unfortunately, I haven't worn them, so I can't speak to their effectiveness for hiking or wading.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Don't even think about it.

Folks,

I'm planning a backpacking trip into some remote water that will require a 6 to 10 mile hike while wearing a pack with 4 days worth of supplies. I am wanting a pair of wading boots that I can wear on the hike in rather than packing them.

Would love some advice from anyone who has made that kind of trip in wading boots.

Thanks!
Boots are designed for two different purposes. I think 'Korker's' makes some 'slip on's' that can be put on hiking type boots. That said, hiking in wet boots is a pain in the butt. Only if you have too!:saeek:

·
Undertaker
1,357 Posts
Fred's right

Depending on your destination you might consider a pair of wading sandals and lightweight neoprene socks. While they would add about a pound and a half to your pack, stream crossings would be a breeze. I have a pair that has felt and studs. Even with a heavy pack, I would prefer lightweight hikers over hiking in clunky wading boots. Try to whittle down your weight elsewhere - when backpacking your feet are your most important equipment - treat 'em well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like a recipe for foot misery. Personally, I would hike in a light-weight pair of running shoes and carry the wading boots.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like a recipe for foot misery. Personally, I would hike in a light-weight pair of running shoes and carry the wading boots.
Most excellent idea, depending on hike location and weather you might be able to skip the wading boots altogether, but if you must have them, do as the above comment, I have done it in the past and its better than hiking that many miles in wading boots

·
Registered
221 Posts
I suppose if you dont mind wearing neoprene socks/booties, any vibram soled wading boots would work. Usually you size up wading boots to accommodate the stocking foot of waders, and maybe a thicker sock, so just a wading boot and regular hiking socks would likely be too sloppy.

Im thinking of turning my felt boots in, and replacing them with Vibram soles. I find hiking to be pretty bad and slippery with them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just pack in your wading boots. You need to take care of your feet as well as you can in that scenario. I think a few extra pounds in your pack is a fair price to pay.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Too old at this point for 'hiking.'

Just pack in your wading boots. You need to take care of your feet as well as you can in that scenario. I think a few extra pounds in your pack is a fair price to pay.
But TTL's pretty much got it nailed in my view. Back pack/light tent/sleeping bag and 'just add water' for food. "Kelly Kettle" to boil water, some fire starters could keep you going for several days. Dog-Doggies even had carry bags.

If you don't have a KK, get one. Skip the idea you'll find dry wood on the beach. You won't. http://www.kellykettle.com/ Bring a bag of wood chunks.

fae

·
Registered
221 Posts
But TTL's pretty much got it nailed in my view. Back pack/light tent/sleeping bag and 'just add water' for food. "Kelly Kettle" to boil water, some fire starters could keep you going for several days. Dog-Doggies even had carry bags.

If you don't have a KK, get one. Skip the idea you'll find dry wood on the beach. You won't. http://www.kellykettle.com/ Bring a bag of wood chunks.

fae
Nice little kettle, never tried that type of stove before. It looks similar to the Backcountry Boiler. I believe you can use alcohol soaked rag or something as well as a backup if finding dry fuel isn't an option. I use a jetboil myself, but was thinking of trying one of these little boilers. Advantage of the jetboil is its also a stove, but obviously you have to pack fuel canisters in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. Believe I will just pack'em in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts