Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Beulah Vision Sage
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyone wearing for waders? Im due for a new pair after my sonic zip pros decided to quit after many years of valiant service. I got these for a very good price and at the time would not have been what I bought if not for the price. My wife is pushing me towards patagucci... but she also comes from a little more class than me.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Patagonia for the past 20 years...SST coat (in 3 newer versions) since 1995. My friend is a guide and loves his SIMMS products, and upon inspection I would say nothing but great things about their gear also.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
2,327 Posts
Ive been sporting the older Orvis Sonic zip fronts for a few years now. I don't think they are available any more but I couldn't ask more from a pair of waders. I had to break into my stash of new zip fronts last year after leaving a pair in a hotel in SLC. Rookie mistake.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The sonic pros have given me the most use so far. I have been through a couple pairs of Patagonia ( lightweights and Gallagos ) they didn’t last like I feel they should. I am now on a pair of Simms G3 and am quite happy after 6-7 months of use. I use my sonic pros from time to time still, and they predate the others.
I am happy with my Patagonia SST jacket though.

·
Registered
R.B. Meiser, Pieroway, Loop
277 Posts
I’m using the Vision Scout Zip 2.0. These things are amazing! The construction is bomber and easily comparable to Simms G4. The 37.5 tech they are using in them is no joke, even in hot weather I am comfortable and zero moisture on the inside from sweat. The outer fabric is tough as nails but I’m still able to move freely. The only downside is that their zip model doesn’t have a bunch of pockets, only a single waterproof zip pocket with a Velcro interior. That said, they do have a carabiner style attachment point for zingers or tools under each buckle. I know our friend @Back Eddy carry’s Visions line as does Nile Creek Fly Shop in BC and your able to purchase from Canada.

·
Registered
RL Winston, Loop Classic, Hardy Perfect
1,022 Posts
I gave up on Simms after ~800$ boot foots failing after 20 uses and them "fixing" them, but not fixing them and refusing to do anything. Also, I had the G3 Guide waders that literally had, no joke, approximately a hundred pinhole leaks, and Simms refused to replace them claiming the material wasn't bad. So, I went with Orvis Pro. They are perfect, not a single leak in years. Only drawback is they are "athletic cut" so a time bit tight for climbing over logs and onto the bank, but once they get wet they are fine. My friends who have the Patagonias really like them, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are someone who will not go waist deep Patagonia waist/pant waders wear very well and have front hand pockets. You might not think that the pockets make a difference but you will notice when you use a pair that doesn’t.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I personally go with best fit then what fits my fishing. I do most of my fishing in very cold water so I wear bootfoot simms g3 waders. I usually have to do several patches through the season but I love the fit and comfort warm feet in the winter. I don’t do much on the shoulder seasons so Ill usually have a pair of simms g3 or g4 older models that love to leak. The leaking doesn’t bother me in the warm months though. If I had to buy something for the time I’m not in bootfoot waders I think a pair of redington or non goretex simms would work just fine. Good luck

Andrew

·
Undertaker
1,479 Posts
Consider pant waders. Simply put, I almost never need to go deep enough to need chest waders and it is easier and quicker to pee. Simms, Dryft, and Patagonia all make high quality pant waders.

·
Registered
Sage, Redington, Hardy, G. Loomis
206 Posts
Consider pant waders. Simply put, I almost never need to go deep enough to need chest waders and it is easier and quicker to pee. Simms, Dryft, and Patagonia all make high quality pant waders.
Like that idea, but don't you lose the chest compartments for easy storage of the fishing necessities like pliers, nippers, leader material and stuff like that?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm on my second set of Redington sonic pro zip fronts for the last year or so. The first set lasted enough seasons that I don't recall how many. Eventually the neoprene feet developed slow compression leaks. Other than that the uppers were still going strong with a couple patches. I'd consider another set when these wear out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts