Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
look

Look at the Intruder instructions on www.irishangler.com in the patterns section. I also use FireLine as I like the stifness which keeps things from fouling back there.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,550 Posts
I have only been playing with these for about a year but have had good results using maxima. I lay down a loose threadbase, tie in the hook into 20# maxima then lay a short section just shy of double the length of the shank. Next wrap tight from the rear forward to the eye. Thread the maxima through the eye and back along the underside of the shank. I then tie in the lead-eyes if I'm using them. I usually then goop it good with cement before wrapping back to the rear. Apply another coat of cement and I'm good to go. I have yet to have one pull out and have checked after landing fish and there is no slippage. Not saying it is the best way but it works for me.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Yep

I have used Maxima also as it has the stifness I am looking for. The only down side is the diameter. With the Owner hooks I use for trailers the eyes are fairly small and it is hard to use the smaller ones on mono. 30# FireLine has the stiffness and works down to a size 6. Actually for 6 and 8s I use 20# on the 20mm and 15mm shanks. It is critical to loop it back through the eye and around per the instructions. I have tried a lot of ways that slip but that one has been consistent for several years and several thousand flies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.