Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about the windcutter tip 2 compensator. I have a sage 7141 and a windcutter 8/9/10 w tips. I have scoured past threads but still have a couple of questions. What exactly is the purpose of the tip 2 compensator? Does it just allow the tips to sink more and/or does it make it easier to cast the tips? Also can you use the tips with the floating compensator? Im kinda new to this spey casting thing so I am just trying to figure this line stuff out. Also when I cast I dont seem to get a nice shooting loop its more like a roll. I get it out there but I know it could be "tighter" I dont want anyone to spend a lot of time on this I know a cast is hard to analyze over the computer! Heading up to the Eel river this weekend (hear its been fishing pretty good) and wouldnt mind having a few suggestions on things to work on in my cast. Any help and comments would be most appreciated! Thanks! Kevin

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The compensator will help the tips sink a little deeper and stay down a little better. You can fish the tips with the floating tip two. As far as getting the loop tighter, more practice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
try shortning your stroke (remember the 10 to 2 on the clock stroke). also when forming the back D look make sure it's parallel with your forward stroke and lastly....slow it all down.

this info has always helped me, good luck.

cb

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Compensator

the purpose is to allow the tip to get deeper without going to a heavier or longer tip. For example, you might feel like you are not getting deep enough with a 15' type 6 tip. You can go to a type 8. If that still ins't deep enough, you can go to a big boy, or try the compensator with the type 8, which is easier to cast than the big boy. Not as easy as the floating tip-2 and a 15' tip, but still easier than a long heavy tip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts