Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again.

Ok, i've ordered my B&W norway 14' #9wt with 2 lines.
a 120ft DT9F and a Rio Windcutter floater in 8/9/10

I use wonderlines in 105 feet with 35lb gelspun for #8wt thru #10wt and there is loads of capacity with these lines. How much more bulk can i expect with the spey lines ?

The only reel i have available is the vortex 9/10 but i'm not sure about the backing capacity. If i can 100 yards plus on board, it'll handle anything we got that swims. But we do trips to martha's vineyard sometimes fort he albies and they sure ain't shy of running you dry of backing before you can blink.

The 10/11 vortex 4 1/2 drum suggests DT9F with 200 yards backing. The 9/10 has a 4" drum.
I also see they are doing a new hi-viz high capacity backing in 1200 yard spools and this would surely be a good deal for me to load up 2 spools.

What are your thoughts on this new backing, and has anyone played with the spey lines on this reel.

Yes i know its a little heavy, but i've had no problems with mine. I have 5 of them in various sizes and they have done hundreds of hours in the salt without hassle.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

At the new price i could go for a 10/11 vortex, but they weigh a pound :eek:

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
The spey option (not sure if that is for the 11/12) indicates it will hold a DT9F and hold 225 yds of 30lb dacron, more with gsp i would imagine. Check your PM for the link...

Vinnie

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If the amount of backing is important,

avoid dyed products. White backing occupies 10% less volume than the identical dyed product. Wulff backing occupies the least volume of the dacrons I have tested.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to update this.

The lines, i have tried 8/9/10 windcutter, SA mastery mid head 9/10, 90 foot and 120 foot DT's.

The wincutter fits the vortex 9/10 with about 50 yards of 35 gelspun and this is wound up real neat. Obviously no good.

The others, well, they don't fit at all......

--
Keith.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts