Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent me two patterns (several of each) that he uses on the Grand River in the Grand Rapids area. Both will be KILLERS on the Chetco in SW Oregon or the lower Rogue for winter run steelhead.

(This is a brib post ... SEND MORE!!) All kidding aside, this fellow ties a great fly! Will be 'down there' early December and will thrash the waters with both. :D

Many thanks my friend (More brib posts!) send more of your goodies; promise to report back.

Fred

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Hi Fred

Thanks for the compliment.

I tend to loose alot, (rocks, trees, fish, etc) so I get some practice.

Maybe we can trade some flies for some of those rods that need more water time.

Gary

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sigh ... down one black Bunny Leach.

Last seen it was tied to the end of a 10# tippet firmly lodged in the jaw of a bananna's B run summer run ....

I say 'seen,' as the fish was airborne far more than he was in the water! :hihi:

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Cool update

Fish them hard Fred,

We can always reload.

Gary

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Hi Fred

This hoodooman was busy on the vise tonight. These voodooflies will be going to Oregon.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sad tale Voodo Man.

Another of your Gree/Black patterns is lodged in the jaw of a south bound steelhead (actually in this case, I suspect a Coho). This fellow blew out 12# tippet like it was nothing! Hook set, the fish turned down stream and never slowed down for a second. :eek:

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
Gary, Its a good thing someone can catch fish on your flys :razz: :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Fred

You are supposed to land those to retrieve the fly. Do you need to go the 15# maxima tippet for this time of year?

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Hi Rambo

I'll tell you the pattern, but first I must tell the story behind it. This pattern has evolved over the past few years to where it is now. The original design was a smallmouth bass fly for my home river. I wanted a fly that would fish throughout the water column, so it started heavily weighted. I could tumble it, swing it, and strip it. It was designed for overhead casting with an 8 wt single handed rod and the heavy weight wasn’t a problem. I eventually lightened it up so it casts nice and easy when wet with a 6/7 2-hander, but I still vary the weights around. It started as an all rabbit based leech. I didn’t like the way the rabbit strip tail would foul with the hook so I started to use marabou for the tail. This worked much better. I wanted a body that was plump, so I trim the marabou tail feather near the eye to add bulk to the hook shank. I keep the bulk look near the tail by adding wraps of esztas before starting with the palmered rabbit. I like the 2-tone look and the smallies really keyed in on the chartreuse and black combo. I like the pearl flashabou because it takes on the appearance of the other materials color. I tied it up in different sizes but the number 4 hook looks and fishes the best for me. The final form was created listening to VooDoo Chile by Hendrix. Thus, the name of the series of fly called “voodoofly”. I have used some different color combos but like the chartreuse and black the best. This color combo was confirmed when I caught 3 smallies over 15” in about 10 casts in the same slot one hot summer morning. Steelhead like this color too. So here it is, tie it and call it a voodoofly.

Size 4 Mustad Signature R74 hook
Black thread.
Weight varies but the lighter fly has about 10-15 wraps of 0.020 dia lead.
Tail is chartreuse marabou, 2 smaller blood quills, lash up to eye for bulk
Tail flash is pearl flashabou, 3-5 strands per side.
Lower third of body is chartreuse esztas, about 4 wraps
Middle third of body is chartreuse crosscut rabbit.
Top third of body is black crosscut rabbit
Collar is a few wraps of black schapplen.

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Hi Bob

The next time I'm on the bench I'll tie up some for you to try.

Gary

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
Thanks a ton Voodoo. it looks like a great fly for summer steel on the joe and on the big manistee and I will be sure to give it a toss out on st Clair this next summer.
Again
Thanks
Rambo

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
t_richerzhagen said:
You are supposed to land those to retrieve the fly. Do you need to go the 15# maxima tippet for this time of year?

Ted, our problem ... up to yesterday ... has been the rivers are all low, clear and COLD. First of two 'pineapple express' came through earlier this week. Average river flow went from 950'ish cfs to almost 6,000 before it backed off to about 5400 cfs (and this is at the top end of the river!!).

Anyho, this has forced everyone back to lighter/longer leaders. Also, suspect that a 15# tippet on a 6 or 7 wt rod would be looking for trouble. :eek:

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
I like it
that is a sweet looking fly voodoo I tied a few up tonight.
I tied a few with a marabou collar as well. I will let you know how they do
Thanks
Again.
Rambo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts