Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
speypages brother.
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Von Hofe and Saracione fly reels

I"m interested in buying a classic reel to use!(on the west coast like the dean or the thompson)black S-handle,you know the one. Im just wondering if it is wise to buy an old von-hofe and use it! yes, I do know they are pricey......but are they practial...any suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
vomHofe

I regularly fish a 6/0 vomHofe on my 15' and 16' rods. After 70 years it still works perfectly. It has huge capacity, I think it would take any kind of Spey line and more than enough backing. And it is a beautiful piece of equipment.

Best Regards

Knut

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Is it wise and practical to hang a Vom Hofe on a rod ?
NO !! If you do find one in original condition the reel foot will be too long to put on a modern rod.However ,that being said if ya get one that's been modified ,GO AHEAD !! but take dear care of it !!Hoagy B. Carmichael has a mountain of V.H. parts so you won't be missing anyhing if you do break something.The only thing NOT available ANYWHERE is the serpentine handle.I have 3 V.H's and only use one, a Julius V.H. that doesn't havethe serpentine handle but DOES make a delicious racket when a fish makes a run :-O. Edward V.H.'s are expensive but a Julius V.H. can be had for around 400 $
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hardy Cascapedia

Have you thought about the Hardy Cascapedia { modern version} limited edition only 500 numbered. You can pick them up reasonably on Ebay $1200 US. Get Hardy to check them out for fishing I have had all of mine regeared to fish with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cascapedia

Hei,

Why did you have it regeared? I fished mine straight out of the box without any modifications and I hope that I haven't done anything stupid.

I agree that this is a good alternative if you can get it at $1200. A robust, beautiful reel with good line capacity.

Best Regards

Knut

1 - 6 of 6 Posts