Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Water Hat Fedora Plant Sky
Wood Serveware Drinkware Tableware Gas
I’m working on the moving logistics and renovations at my camp in New Brunswick. I’m also getting my tackle ready for the fall run. I’m reconditioning some silk line for these 1900 era Julius Vom Hofe made Leonard Raised Pillar Salmon reels. I’m going to grease line them with my Sharpes spliced cane 13, 14, and 15 footers as well as with some modern B & W, Meiser, and Mackenzie 16, 17, and 18 foot graphites. These “knuckle busters” are loud and proud and very exciting to play into the backing with a running salmon intent on returning to the salt at Tide Head.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very elegant traditional salmon outfit.....Looks like my favourite setup for bombing salmon with a Bogdan #1 or 2 on a Payne style Canadian Canoe rod with a detachable fighting butt.
Regards...Jim

·
Registered
317 Posts
Guys, Thanks for the kind words.
Actually it is an Orvis Battenkill 908 3 piece from around 1962. I recently acquired this rod and it looks virtually unused.
I am pairing it with a Bogdan 0 I bought a couple of years ago. Again looks virtually new. Now I have to just figure out which line I want on it.
Another view

Table Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Trigger Gas

Mark

·
Registered
770 Posts
Guys, Thanks for the kind words.
Actually it is an Orvis Battenkill 908 3 piece from around 1962. I recently acquired this rod and it looks virtually unused.
I am pairing it with a Bogdan 0 I bought a couple of years ago. Again looks virtually new. Now I have to just figure out which line I want on it.
Another view

View attachment 385056

Mark
Great find there on that Orvis--you don't see them unused very often.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,815 Posts
what is the serial number? I have something similar to that but a few years older.

·
Registered
317 Posts
what is the serial number? I have something similar to that but a few years older.
Off the top of my head I don’t. It was a number that began with 33 which designated it from 61/62. I found that info from an Orvis rod database someone put together at the Classic Fly Rod forum

Mark

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I’m working on the moving logistics and renovations at my camp in New Brunswick. I’m also getting my tackle ready for the fall run. I’m reconditioning some silk line for these 1900 era Julius Vom Hofe made Leonard Raised Pillar Salmon reels. I’m going to grease line them with my Sharpes spliced cane 13, 14, and 15 footers as well as with some modern B & W, Meiser, and Mackenzie 16, 17, and 18 foot graphites. These “knuckle busters” are loud and proud and very exciting to play into the backing with a running salmon intent on returning to the salt at Tide Head. View attachment 385041 Tide
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim View attachment 385042

Nice minnow you gat there! :ROFLMAO::eek::p

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
So cool to see people with a passion for the old ways of fishing. Not my cup of tea personally, but very cool indeed! I'm sure it brings you something special when fishing!

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts