Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this for twenty years or so and it was probably 50+ years old when it came to me. It is a vintage aluminum fly tin with a felt pad inside and a swing top. The top works fine and the top just shows normal wear. The bottom is dimpled in. I pondered carefully hammering it back out but never have. These tins are not really functional by today's standards but is a great item for the Hardy collector.

Comes with two streamers that were in it when I got it.

Some years ago I saw one on E-bay go for over $100. Asking $80 plus shipping. Paypal fine.

(having trouble posting pics with new PC - will upload some from phone in a bit.)

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Price reduced to $75. Sell it or back in the closet she goes.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't wish to disrupt any potential sale, and I'm sure there are plenty of people more expert than me on collectibles, but I'm pretty sure that's not a fly box but a cast case. In the days before nylon, gut casts (leaders) had to be soaked in water to make them supple before use. Spare casts would be soaked before setting out and carried coiled up between layers of dampened felt in a tin like this, so they were ready to use when needed.

T

·
0 Posts
Don't wish to disrupt any potential sale, and I'm sure there are plenty of people more expert than me on collectibles, but I'm pretty sure that's not a fly box but a cast case. In the days before nylon, gut casts (leaders) had to be soaked in water to make them supple before use. Spare casts would be soaked before setting out and carried coiled up between layers of dampened felt in a tin like this, so they were ready to use when needed.
That is what it's used for, but a cool Hardy whatever tin. Store a favorite tabacoo or fly

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the clarification. No apologies needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts