Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Maybe the carp bought from pet stores should be micro-chipped before sale (like dogs & cats are), and if any caught or netted examples of this non-native species are recovered from wild public waterways, the chip checked and the original owner contacted & fined up to the can$100,000.00 as allowed by the law; a few well publicised cases of such penalties would largely eliminate allowing these non-native fish, deliberately or otherwise, to get into public waters.

For the fish that are there already, they readily take boilie baits like ordinary carp; they could be fished for and removed and/or eaten. Carp are quite a solid foodsource in some European countries.

Mike

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
Freakin fantastic

Could this be a job for the Peoria Carp Hunters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqykDINEcGo
Scarping - more fun than noodling for catfish. The way those babies jump, they might just be fun on the end of a line. Asian carp flies anyone?

Of course alien species are a serious problem, but there's no reason we can't have fun with them while figuring out how to freakin get rid of them. As regards goldfish in the Bow - I am wondering why the nice rainbows in the river don't eat them. If they ever figure out that they can eat them, those bows in the Bow would grow to the size of Taimen. In fact, the wild coloration of those goldfish reminds me a bit of a Durham Ranger.

·
bow river ninja
220 Posts
I'm sure the trout eat em! I've caught two not large 4-5" seen/heard of a few others! even wilder I've seen a couple different photos of some sort of tilapia/cichlid type fish found by fishing buddies in a couple locations... they look a lot like the fish in the hippo tank at the zoo!!! very bizarre! hopefully they will never get to any significant numbers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts