Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few Versileaders that thru frequent use have trimmed back all of the mono "pigtail" off. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to peel back the outer core to expose another few inches of mono without jeopardizing the strength or integrity? or am I just better off tying a double surgeons knot without bothering to cut back the outer core? or perhaps just purchase a replacement Versileader? I'm also curious what knot you like best for tying at the end for connecting to your tippet? I currently use a double surgeons at the Versileader end and another double surgeons on the tippet.

As always thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In doing some additional research I came accross Rio's Tippet Rings. This looks like a good alternative to surgeons knots and increasing life of the Versileader. Anyone use these and can comment?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Definitely a Tippet Ring! I have used Vision 3mm rings for Salmon and salt water fishing. I tie ring using Uni-knot and add some knot clue when tightening and then smoothen it and it lasts long and it seems to collect weed less than any uncoated knot does. Of course this knot needs to be checked when it has had contact with rocks. Also when thin fluoro is Uni-knotted as a tippet to ring it becomes stronger or at least not weaker than loop to loop.

Esa

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
X3 for the tippet rings, in my case the Roman Moser 3mm rings.

This increases the knot strength as the uni/ blood/ grinner knots used have a higher % breaking strength than surgeons/ figure 8 / perfection loops do; also less of the poly core is lost when adding a tippet ring than by tying a loop.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Versileader that snapped just inside the sink material, I tied a perfection loop with no issues, that was 2 years ago. It has my full confidence.

·
Registered
555 Posts
When I've trimmed back versileaders or poly leaders I've just used my fingernail to scrape some of the coating off to expose the mono core. Some of the leader coatings are harder to scrape off than others, but I've always been abe to do it. I've had some poly leaders for over a decade and cut them back several times when the exposed mono got beat up.

Reactions: shotgunner

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Tippet rings have their uses, I suppose, as do barrel swivels & the like. But I prefer not having any metal do-dads between my line & my fly. A Versi-leader is, first & foremost, a leader. So why not attach your tippet as you would to any other leader. You can easily strip a few inches of the tungsten coating off the tip end of the leader, exposing the mono core. I've seen people do this with their teeth. (Not recommended) Double over a short length of mono, (6lb will do) loop this around the versi-leader & pull it up tight. Pull towards the end, stripping the coating off. If you're real careful, you can attach your tippet using a blood knot. An Albright knot is a little easier.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Be careful when joining fluoro tippets to the nylon core though, the fluoro is thinner & harder than the nylon & can cut into it under a heavy load - another reason I like the tippet rings as it avoids this possibility.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys all good advice Versileader's seem to have a harder than average outer core so I find it difficult to peel back the outer core with just my fingernail. I wonder how a wire splicer might work? I suppose as long as I use the largest hole possible I could get the outer core peeled back. My biggest concern might be compromising or weakening the mono underneith when a hot fish takes a swung fly. Thoughts??

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Thanks guys all good advice Versileader's seem to have a harder than average outer core so I find it difficult to peel back the outer core with just my fingernail. I wonder how a wire splicer might work? I suppose as long as I use the largest hole possible I could get the outer core peeled back. My biggest concern might be compromising or weakening the mono underneith when a hot fish takes a swung fly. Thoughts??
Do it like this, only without the lighter. Remove Coating If you need to soften the coating, soak it for 15 to 30 seconds in acetone (nail polish remover).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts