Spey Pages banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's hanging on the wall of my workshop right now. Used 2X stock to stabilize the 3 tubes and give me a connection point for U bolts. Initially it was a inexpensive solution for a trip planned with my son, but it's served it's purpose on more than one occasion.
What did you line the tubes with? Anything soft?

·
Registered
125 Posts
There has been lots of discussion here about vehicle rod mounts over the years. My question is what are you using and why. I have a 2017 Wrangler and any input in that direction would be appreciated as it has odd lines and materials on top. I also have a 2019 F-250 work truck (lots of aluminum) and any advice for that vehicle would be appreciated.
Own a set of Sumo magnetic holders, going on five or six seasons now. Very secure and almost infinitely adjustable,however new vehicle is a Subaru with an aluminum hood @#!**&+!
Advise looking into the suction mounted Sumo's.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thought about making long rod socks but didn't sew at that time so I used pieces of insulated pipe foam to lift and hold the rod bodies along their length.
Now Ive got the bug to build a rod carrier. I land in Savannah in about an hour and if its not too hot and steamy Im going to start rounding up materials.

·
JB1
39 Posts
I think I'd go to 2.5 or 3" pipe if I did it again just so I could use a pool noodle for a cushion. Also I've used this with regular fly rods and my switch rod. Although I could leave it rigged I'd have to take the reel off to get my spey rod in and then lock it up. I have an old Subaru Outback I use to fish anywhere within a 2 hour drive and since building the roof rack I made cross hangers to carry my spey rods inside.

·
Fly Away
92 Posts
There has been lots of discussion here about vehicle rod mounts over the years. My question is what are you using and why. I have a 2017 Wrangler and any input in that direction would be appreciated as it has odd lines and materials on top. I also have a 2019 F-250 work truck (lots of aluminum) and any advice for that vehicle would be appreciated.
I use Sumo suction cups on my Ford F-150. Occasionally one of the cups will come unstuck on the extremely rough, gravelly, washboard Deschutes road I travel on, but I've never had the mount come completely loose. I prefer it to tubes that rods can rattle around in if the tubes are unpadded inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Richard Wheately suction cup mounts and have used them extensively with my spliced rods. I take them along when I travel and take up little space. Good stuff.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have a Ford F 150 and use the Tightline suction rod unit that works great. Only used the rod holder on smooth roads for short distances (5 to 10 miles) but it is much easier than taking the rod apart and you are ready to fish when you get where going.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of something. I picked up my new work truck last night and the guys are anxious for rod mounts.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts