Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been lots of discussion here about vehicle rod mounts over the years. My question is what are you using and why. I have a 2017 Wrangler and any input in that direction would be appreciated as it has odd lines and materials on top. I also have a 2019 F-250 work truck (lots of aluminum) and any advice for that vehicle would be appreciated.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,331 Posts
The suction cups should work on the Ford. For Heep(yes I said it) maybe look at a roof rack/cargo carrier and mount to it. The roof on those things are a plastic/composite with a rough surface.

Dan

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my last drive to work I saw somebody with a long home made tube and an ammo box for the reel holder part of the st up. Kind of a Mad Max looking thing but I was intrigued to maybe build my own.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,331 Posts
If you look at electrical contractor vans some have a pvc tube with an opening end that's lockable. One end permanently capped. I have seen the bits advertised around the fly fishing channels. If I find a pic I will post it. The end bits are cast aluminum and the pipe is just your home depot tubing.

Google "CC400 conduit carrier"

Dan

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The Sumo mounts have been tested with 2 16' Meisers to 130 KMH ;)

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,366 Posts
On my wrangler I used a set of Vacmounts. A magnetic for the hood and a suction for the top.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I’m afraid I don’t know the brand, as I bought them used a while aback, but I have a set up similar to what Sinktip mentioned. I use the suction cup on the hood and the magnetic one on the roof top. I will say that I’ve been increasingly happy and confident in their ability to keep the toys solidly mounted! The one thing about the suction cup mounts is that it definitely helps to wipe the surface clean first (even a bit of spit wiped away with your hand will suffice); otherwise it is possible for them to fail. If you wipe the surface down first the suction cups are really, really SOLID. The magnetic ones are plenty secure too though.
JB

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,242 Posts
I would think that a rod vibrating around inside a PVC tube will get scuffed up.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think that a rod vibrating around inside a PVC tube will get scuffed up.
I’d never put a rod in a tube to get scuffed. I’d have to line it with something soft like a wacky noodle or pipe insulation with a piece cut out for the guides to sit in and a comfy box for the reels with padding also. As far as the work truck I’m thinking something like items mentioned by Salar and Sinktip so we can get rigged up before the end of work so we are ready when we hit the river after work . I’ve already ordered my crossbars and roof box for ski season.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use the Tightlines suction mounts for my Wrangler. One on the hood and one on the windshield. Passenger side has space between the wiper path. I replaced my antenna with a small rigid plastic one. The ‘stock’ antenna is a bit whippy. Food for thought.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
Tight lines from Red Shed. Poppy will sell you a set that has one magnetic and one suction. Tight lines is high quality.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tight lines from Red Shed. Poppy will sell you a set that has one magnetic and one suction. Tight lines is high quality.

I was looking at those. I’m thinking all suction cup figuring there is a lot of aluminum in the new trucks.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Not a bad way to go. I've driven confidently at 55 mph w/ my suction cup Tightlines. You just need to monitor the plunger on the unit. Every time I get out of the truck, I give it a few plunges. As previously mentioned, they attach best with a little moisture.

·
JB1
39 Posts
I made my own using 2" pvc home depot and ammo box from Harbor Freight. Have a roof rack on the car I was able to bolt things down to. I set it up to carry 3 rods and can lock the box is needed. Total dollar outlay for hardware and all was around $37,

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,331 Posts
I made my own using 2" pvc home depot and ammo box from Harbor Freight. Have a roof rack on the car I was able to bolt things down to. I set it up to carry 3 rods and can lock the box is needed. Total dollar outlay for hardware and all was around $37,
You got a pic of that??

Dan

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use the Tight Lines mounts. Dual magnet for my Subaru Outback and these have worked very well. Within the last few days (thanks to drylinetim) I'll be trying the combo vac and magnet ones for my newish Silverado (nonmetalic hood).

In past I made a rod rack out of PVC pipe and flat stock - for salt water fly and light spin rods. This attached to Track Rac load racks for Tacoma. I used rod holders from Blue Water Designs for the reel end of the rack and Berkley Twist lock for other end. This carried 4 rods and was pretty much bullet proof. Easy and reasonably priced to construct.

I had the Blue Waters also mounted in my center console boat and they worked great. When I sold Tacoma, I repurposed the Blue Waters to hold fly rods on my kayak. I used these racks with 9 - 10 foot rods, not with spey. The key dimension, of course, for spey set up is the distance between the two mount points (i.e. roof rack placement; about 5 ft on my Tacoma I think). LOTS of potential overhang to consider with loner spey rods! Links to both products below.

Blue Water Designs DelStang Fly Rod Holder / Transporter

1 - 20 of 30 Posts