Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what knot do you use to tie varivas to your backing? Also how do you make a loop on the front end to attach a scandi or skagit head? thnaks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Backing to any shooting line using Allbright and loop for Nylon shooting line is Perfection knot.

I use Allbright also when fly line has rear loop because it is slim, strong and waste of backing line is very little.

Esa

·
Registered
401 Posts
Double or triple surgen is what I use.

Backing to Varivas:
Dacron line gets a big loop (like 3') with dbl surgen, double that loop over and put another double surgen so you have two loops of identical length. Put the surgen's loop in verivas then loop to loop the two Dacron loops to Varivas loop. The point of creating 2 loops in Dacron is 2x the surface area so it does not cut into the mono, it might be overkill but nor has the system ever failed me.

Varivas to head:
Dbl or triple surgen loop in Varivas and loop to loop with head.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Double surgeon, both ends. Pulled down hard and evenly, till the knot almost disappears in the line with gloves and lots of muscle.

Cheers,
sixheads

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Backing to shooting line - basically a slim beauty - works like a chinese finger trap, super slim and tough.
Shooting line loop - perfection loop or tripple surgeons depending the day i do it, either one is sealed with uv glue to smooth it out.

·
Registered
824 Posts
All you guys use it , looking for some opinions , I got a big spool and can't wait to switch it out ,

Is it as good as I'v heard ,

·
Registered
847 Posts
I sure like it on my summer rods. In winter, with gloves on, I have a tough time controlling/holding on to it.
I should clarify that I've wrapped my cork with rubber tape where I pinch the line when casting. The Varivas is that slick (or I'm THAT jerky).

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
IMO Varivas is very good compromise. Easiest Nylon line to hold when compared to breaking strength because it is thicker. Although Varivas does not float as well as coated lines it does not sink too fast. But when Varivas tangles bad and a kink appears it is not possible to stretch away and tangling increase so you need to replace it more often than any other SL. So it becomes more expensive to use and sometimes you might need to take a break and replace it.

Esa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts