Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After experiencing some terrible effects of 'dunking' my Islander reels on a recent trip, I am looking to replace them with sealed drag reels. I have heard good things about the Loops, but was also interested in the Van Staal C-Vex. Does anyone have experience with the Van Staals? How do they line up compared to the Loop Evotech?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have Islanders and while fishing in Oak Orchard my drag became very "un-smooth" to the point I had to palm the reel ---happily, I got the "foot-ball" Brown in . I cleaned the cork later and applied Neatsfoot oil and it has been fine since.--
This year in Michigan Andy Murray demonstrated that Hardy reels work well when held underwater and he said that we should try holding our reels underwater to be sure that the drags function smoothly when wet. I really like my new Hardy Gem!! :)

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Howdy Chrome...

I can't attest to the C-Vex, however I can on the Loop reels, I live by them and highly recommend them to anyone. I really like the Traditionals and not to mention the Hi Techs. The HiTechs are a little heavy but are way cool and have an incredible braking system. The Evotec's(all models) and even the CLW are quite the phenomenal creations. I can state for fact the sealed drag on the Evotecs is infallable and impervious like the company states. Wonderful designs and wonderful to use. The HD is a modern day marvel that is on my wish list next to my Loop 14' grey 9/10 spey rod. I have been a Loop reel fanatic for a few years now will not use anything else, well not true, I do a Bauer M7 that is not bad either, I just forget about it every now and again ( like 364 days out of the year!!) Good luck and let us know what you end up going with... :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
re. C VEX

Hot Chrome-
I have all sizes of the Van Staal, I think it is a great reel. Just started using the 7/8, it's a perfect match on my Loop Blue 7116/4. Have been using the larger size for about a year, and am very satisfied. While I haven't thrown it into the stream overnight to see if the drag still works well, it has certainly been in the water and the drag always stays smooth. It has NO stiction when the drag starts to slip,verryy smooth. Have been chased off the water by a line freezing to the guides when fishing in the high teens and low 20's, but the reel always spun freely. However, I would think if you put it in the water, even if you shook it out well, it could freeze at those temperatures. And really, I wouldn't want to put my hand in the water at those temps either! Build quality is among the best, and made in the U.S.A. to boot, you have to love that! I talked to several fly shop owners who had sold them to salt water anglers before I bought mine, and they had the highest praise for them. They have not been in production for about a year now, but I received a call from them Tuesday, and they plan on shipping again next week. They were bought out, and the new owners are making them. I can't comment on those reels until I see one. Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Yeah, I think they were bought by Zebco :eek: I think I'll try to get my hands on an older generation model rather than taking my chances with a new production.

Thanks to all for your insightful posts.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Van Staal was purchased by W.C. Bradley Co., the company that owns Zebco, Char-Broil and Thermos grills, and a few other outdoor cooking product manufacturers. The Bradley-owned C-VEX reels will be manufactured here in the U.S.

I can tell you that the technical people at the "new" Van Staal provide superb customer service. I had a problem with the anodizing on the spool of my pre-Bradley C-VEX 9/10, sent it in to the new Van Staal and the reel was sent back to me with a new spool in two-days (I am hoping it will arrive later today).

Frankly, the old C-VEX reels -- while mechanical and design beauties -- seem to have had problems with the anodizing. Given what I understand to be the care that the new Van Staal has taken in preparing for the re-introduction of the C-VEX and its awareness of the old problem (or problems), I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new C-VEX. In fact, I would bet -- sight unseen -- that the new incarnation will be superior to the original.

My $0.02

·
Registered
940 Posts
Following up on my prior post, my C-VEX just arrived from the new Van Staal. New spool is perfect. Van Staal received it on August 23rd and had it back in my hands today, the 27th.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

Thanks Smolt for your insight ito the new ownership of Van Staal. I have placed an order at the local dealer for a new C-Vex 9/10. They said they expect to be shipping in Sep.

To North Island, I was also surprised to be having trouble with my Islanders. I had never had much trouble with the cork drag, but on this trip, (even after re-prepping the disc with neatsfoot oil) a couple of submersions of the reel and the drag was toast. Nothing worse than to be buttoned up to a rare hot fish and have the drag alternate between freespool and high tension. Lost a couple of fish and vowed to never have it happen again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts