Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I´m looking for reasonably light, anti-reverse (and maybe even 1:2 ratio) spey-reel. In the net I found Valentine reels - even one forumsponsor offers these reels. Anyone with experience? Is is solid? What about when you try to reel in when fish is pulling - does it have enough reeling-power, or is reelingpower equal to that you set yuor brake?
Sorry my bad English, but I hope you understand. In some a-r reels you loose all your reelingpower if you set reels brake light.
Yours
FinnSpey

·
JD
3,610 Posts
Valentine reels

A friend of mine had a Valentine reel which he used on steelhead. And he loved it. I was intriqued by it and got to look it over rather thoroughly so I'll try an aswer your questions based on my observations.
It appears to be a solidly built reel. It is a multiplyer with a ratio of about 1.5:1 so you will lose some reeling power. However, if you only take in line as you pump and lower the rod, that doesn't matter. Also, when you are reeling, it operates as a direct drive. It is only when you release the handle that the anti reverse mechanism and drag is engaged. Upon relaease of the handle, the crank plate will revolve as line is taken, until the handle is at the bottom six o'clock position, and then only the handle will rotate about it's own axis while the crank plate remains stationary. The fish is pulling against the drag at whatever setting you have established.
It is a rather simple mechanism based on a sun and planet gear. It is not a quick change spool. Nor is it a very large diamenter or large capacity spool. And it is relatively heavy for it's size, but then, most anti-reverse reels are. It is probably due to the size of the reel that they are not seen very often on Spey rods.
Reels with this type of action are often refered to as "dual mode" rather than just anti-reverse. So a better comparison, although certainly not in the same league, would be a Henshall or a Sea Master.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts